Whats your pain

anyone have any illness or syndromes

whats your symptons and day to day life like with you illness is it rare what help do you get or need do you know ppl with the same pain-illness-syndrome

my wife suffers with Behçet’s Syndrome is there anyone in sheffield with the same Syndrome or anything like who would lake to rant or just talk about things or get something of your chest

.......................................................................................................

Behçet’s disease

Behçet’s (pronounced Betjets) syndrome (sometimes known as Behçet’s disease) is a chronic condition caused by disturbances in the body’s immune system. It is named after Hulushi Behçet (1889-1948), a Turkish dermatologist and scientist, who first recognised the syndrome in one of his patients in 1924. Although Behçet’s disease can affect people of any age, it most commonly affects those between the ages of 20 and 40. Common symptoms include mouth ulcers, genital ulcers, eye inflammation

What is Behçet's disease?

Behçet’s syndrome (now known as Behçet’s disease) is a chronic condition resulting from disturbances in the body’s immune system.

This system, which normally protects the body against infections by producing controlled inflammation, becomes over-active and produces unpredictable outbreaks of unwanted and exaggerated inflammation. This extra inflammation affects blood vessels, usually the small ones. As a result symptoms occur wherever there is a patch of inflammation; this can be anywhere where there is a blood supply.

No-one knows why the immune system starts to behave this way in Behçet’s disease. It is not because of any known infections, it is not hereditary, and it is not to do with ethnic origin, gender, lifestyle, age, where someone has lived or where they have been on holiday. It is not associated with cancer, and links with tissue-types (which are under investigation) are not certain. It does not follow the usual pattern for autoimmune diseases. At the moment it is defined as being a disease of inflamed blood vessels (vasculitis) - a ‘vasculitic’ disease.

Although Behçet’s disease is incurable at present, incurable does not mean untreatable. There are several ways in which the immune system can be suppressed to an appropriate level to reduce the extra inflammation, and this suppresses the symptoms.

Most of the symptoms are painful but not life-threatening. They come and go in a series of attacks (‘flare-ups’) throughout life. The disease does not ‘burn itself out’, but sometimes it can level off and the flare-ups become less aggressive and happen less frequently. Most people with Behçet’s disease have a normal lifespan and can hope to lead close-to-normal daily lives.

No-one knows for sure how many people with Behçet’s disease there are in the UK, but it is estimated that there are about 1 in 100,000 - that is, about 1000 people. It is much less rare in the Middle East and in Asia. Because it seems to be prevalent in the areas surrounding the old silk trading routes, it is sometimes known as the 'Silk Route' disease.

I suffer with back pain, mainly due to the lifting and carrying of my disabled son. Probably nothing compared to your wife though, my sympathies are with her.

There is a disability and carers group in the interests section, many good people there to offer support :)

hi im not bieng funny with you go on a training coarse 4 moving and handling it shows you how to move heavey objecks and poeple properly without hurting them save your back they also show you how to you lifting eqipment that will lift a person very easy and carefully i used to be a care worker at one time

hi im not bieng funny with you go on a training coarse 4 moving and handling it shows you how to move heavey objecks and poeple properly without hurting them save your back they also show you how to you lifting eqipment that will lift a person very easy and carefully i used to be a care worker at one time

Thanks for that, I've looked into it before but apparently these things are saved for people who work in the industry - mere parents don't seem to qualify.

is there something called the alexander technique that can help.:)

I've had eczema all my life and dermititus for the past 5 years, Recently Its spread to places I have never hasd it before from it being primarily on my feet and hands to the backs of my legs, joints of my arms, my back, stomach and face.Sometimes its so bad it gets on my eye lids and then into my eyes and my eyes feel like they're burning to the point where I can't open my eyes.I've not seen another person have it as bad as me before.

I've had eczema all my life and dermititus for the past 5 years, Recently Its spread to places I have never hasd it before from it being primarily on my feet and hands to the backs of my legs, joints of my arms, my back, stomach and face.Sometimes its so bad it gets on my eye lids and then into my eyes and my eyes feel like they're burning to the point where I can't open my eyes.I've not seen another person have it as bad as me before.

I hope you see a doctor when it gets that bad!

My father suffered from acute dermatitis (skin splitting, open sores etc) and was hospitalised a number of times. The dermatologist was very anxious whenever it got near his eyes, because he said there was a riks of irreversible eye damage (that's when dad went into hospital.)

I hope you see a doctor when it gets that bad!

My father suffered from acute dermatitis (skin splitting, open sores etc) and was hospitalised a number of times. The dermatologist was very anxious whenever it got near his eyes, because he said there was a riks of irreversible eye damage (that's when dad went into hospital.)

I do, but I have to wait to be referred to the dermotology clinic in Hallamshire, so far its been 3 weeks and they have told me I wont get in till the 6th of may.In the mean time doctors at the GPs try every cream and antibiotics nothing works, I understand what he goes through, it gets unbearable sometimes.

ive got bad arthritis in my knees, back and my hands but i still work that was until i developed double vision on the 21st of december it happenend when i was driving to work got to work and also did a full day at work then after work i ended up in hospital for 3 days they thought id had a minor stroke but it turned out id had a bleed on the cranial 6th nerve still got double vision they told me it could last for at least 12 months so not at work at the moment plus 3 weeks ago i had to go to have a medical to see if i was fit for work the doctor i saw she said that she didnt know why i had been sent because she said there was no way i was fit for work needless to say to date i aint heard anything since

Archived