Norton Lees-Meersbrook

Lozzer

i live in the area and want to know more about the history of the park and surrounding area, and find any photos of the area, i've looked at picturesheffield.com, and there are a few, any one know where i could go for more. i am particularly interested in finding out who has lived in the house that i now live in, any ideas?

thanks!!! :)

You need the 'deeds' Lozzer, usually held by a solicitor on behalf of the mortgage lender or owner. The 'deeds' usually list all previous owners of the house, land etc, however they're impossible to get hold of without the help of a solicitor I believe.

Originally posted by "Lozzer"

i live in the area and want to know more about the history of the park and surrounding area, and find any photos of the area, i've looked at picturesheffield.com, and there are a few, any one know where i could go for more. i am particularly interested in finding out who has lived in the house that i now live in, any ideas?

Depends how far you want to go back. The 1901 census results are now available http://www.pro.gov.uk.

Alternatively the Land Registry can tell you all previous owners for a smallish fee http://www.landreg.gov.uk.

• 4 months later...

Try the book about Heeley as well - Heeley Voices? - sorry it's a bit early for me...Obviously it's mainly about Heeley, but includes info on Meersbrook. Also, the Heeley History group will probably be able to point you in the right direction for further info about where to find more.

Maybe it's time us NLees/Meersbrook residents wrote our own book:D

Do get your lease if you can...it's good for a laugh if it's as old as mine (we're strictly forbidden to boil tallow, dye material, or sell candles from our property, lol) . Any probs understanding it, just ask.

• 2 months later...

In Sheffield Library, I've seen a collection of books that recorded information about Sheffield - it's called something like The Sheffield Register.

I think there's a volume for each year (I don't know the range of years covered, but I looked at ones from around 1900-1920). In these volumes, it lists the occupiers of each house in each street for that year.

• 3 years later...

Hi LozzerAs an ex; Nortonlees resident which rd are you in Arthur.

Archived