Colonic irrigation, Anyone had one?

Or more specifically, bowel polyps. The screening is colonoscopy, not colonic irrigation, and it's nothing to do with clearing you out really. The clearing you out (achieved either with a stimulant laxative or an enema) is just so that the medics can see whether you have bowel polyps. If they can see polyps when they are just polyps and deal with them then they are directly preventing bowel cancer.

Polyps can take 10-20 years to make the cellular change from harmless polyp to tumour, allowing lots of time for screening to spot them and remove them when they're harmless. It's also painless to have them removed during the course of a colonoscopy, so the screening and treatment is all dealt with in one session as long as the polyps are picked up before they start changing to tumours.

i know its a bit personal, but i never ever suffered with piles and have had 3 children myself,so last year i noticed a small round nodule,i was very worried and mentioned this to my daughter.who looked at it...and said it was a pile.i suffer from irritable bowel anyway ...so i tried to get on and forget about it as you do.it is very worrying as the op says.

i know its a bit personal, but i never ever suffered with piles and have had 3 children myself,so last year i noticed a small round nodule,i was very worried and mentioned this to my daughter.who looked at it...and said it was a pile.i suffer from irritable bowel anyway ...so i tried to get on and forget about it as you do.it is very worrying as the op says.

No ive never had piles lol and ive got 1 child

No ive never had piles lol and ive got 1 child

strange isnt it,i used to make jokes about people with piles or look at them and think how strange,my daughter has suffered with them unmercilessly,but saying that on her dads side of the family,they are pretty common.i was convinced it was something not right when i noticed the bump,and thought id got the big c...my daughter put my mind at rest.

seriously though,try not to worry.just because its said bowel cancer can run in families doesnt mean to say you will have the same fate.:)

Thanks, think im just having one of those weeks! And my dad was the first in his family to have it, It makes it worse because of how he died, Horrid experience so i always think if i did get the big C id go the same way but in reality its not guarenteed, My dad ignored the signs so when it was found there was no option but to operate and i think they knew then it was too late, It ended up spreading everywhere

Polyps and haemorrhoids aren't the same thing at all, and haemorrhoids aren't dangerous, so you can relax about that one :)

Polyps are in your large bowel and are not visible from the outside unless the person looking is armed with an endoscope ;)

Thanks, think im just having one of those weeks! And my dad was the first in his family to have it, It makes it worse because of how he died, Horrid experience so i always think if i did get the big C id go the same way but in reality its not guarenteed, My dad ignored the signs so when it was found there was no option but to operate and i think they knew then it was too late, It ended up spreading everywhere

im very sorry to hear that love,my dad was diagnosed with first stage lung cancer,hes had a lobectomy..they caught it in time,if its any consellation your dad wud not have known he had got it til it was too late,they caught my dads cos he had a chest infection that was persistant ..it was just a routine chest x ray.bowel trouble is quite common,and your dad probably thought it wasnt serious.as most people do..i feel for you.....god bless. x

Polyps and haemorrhoids aren't the same thing at all, and haemorrhoids aren't dangerous, so you can relax about that one :)

Polyps are in your large bowel and are not visible from the outside unless the person looking is armed with an endoscope ;)

relief....thanks...:)

Archived