Hunter Killer Sub a venue for Murder?

A Royal Navy crewman has been shot dead and another is in a life-threatening condition after a shooting on board nuclear submarine HMS Astute.

A third Royal Navy serviceman was arrested after police were called to Southampton docks at 1212 BST.

A crew member shot two of his crew mates before being overpowered, it is believed.

Heavy duty. Although I doubt it has any wider security implications, I'm surprised the story emerged as quickly as it did.

Apparently it was the council dignitaries that wrestled the gunman to the floor.

Yes it was, i have just spoken with my bro who serves in the Submarines he joined and completed his training alongside the lad who has been charged. He's in bits at the minute as you can imagine, but he mentioned that this lad is very shy but is prone to kicking off at times for no apparent reason.

He had only spoken with him a couple of months ago and he had mentioned he was hoping to meet up with his schoolmate and good friend Tinie Tempah on his U.K tour.

What makes you say that?

The lad had issues with going to sea, it was common knowledge around Faslane that he wasn't cut out for the Submariners, a few incidents had taken place over the last year to highlight the fact he had issues. The reason i said it would happen again is the Navy are running on scraps, not enough trained people in various areas so the lads/lasses are expected to operate like robots.

Wonders if this was bullying or female related.

Maybe so, my bro said that on the subs the atmosphere amongst the fleet is usually greater than that on the ships, but if you do have a problem with someone then little things tend to get magnified

The lad had issues with going to sea, it was common knowledge around Faslane that he wasn't cut out for the Submariners

I thought that submarine duty was purely voluntary. Those who volunteered were subject to psychological tests before being accepted and submariners looked on themselves as a special breed, a little more elite than surface fleet sailors. If the navy is now assigning submarine duty as a matter of course then things must have changed for the worse

It was voluntary up until a few years ago, but the Subs now have the capability to stay under water for up to 6 months, so the roles don't get filled, that results in the surface fleet being forced into being trained on the subs.

Again the reports in the media are total rubbish, it states the personnel get trained to deal with the mental pressures/stress while submerged, my bro laughed that one straight off, he has never seen such a thing take place.

Undermanning in the submarine service is a big problem which has played a major factor in all of this.

Archived