Cycling in Greno Woods and saw a ?

Has said in the title, I was cycling through Greno Woods today, and I saw an animal running away from me.

It looked like a Kangaroo, I know this is impossible, but saw it with my own eyes. Look I know it wasn't a Kangaroo, but something along them lines. Has anyone else seen this?

Not a wind-up, I did see this and just what it is?

It's not likely to be a kangaroo, but it could potentially be a wallaby. They were introduced to the UK just after WWII and have been living wild in loads of places ever since. There was a colony living in the Peak District near Buxton until quite recently I believe.

They're very secretive though, so even if there are thousands of them out there (and I don't think that there are) it would still quite unusual to see one.

It's not likely to be a kangaroo, but it could potentially be a wallaby. They were introduced to the UK just after WWII and have been living wild in loads of places ever since. There was a colony living in the Peak District near Buxton until quite recently I believe.

They're very secretive though, so even if there are thousands of them out there (and I don't think that there are) it would still quite unusual to see one.

Thank you, has said not a wind-up. I did see this creature. I was amazed one minute there, the next gone. Looked fantastic. Made my day. I will be looking out again, but I think I'll never get a glimce again, a True One-Off.

Medusa, i heard from a reliable friend in that area they've all either died out or moved elsewhere, he's not seen one in over 2 years, and he does a hell of a lot of walking round there, including areas well of the regular paths.

Medusa, i heard from a reliable friend in that area they've all either died out or moved elsewhere, he's not seen one in over 2 years, and he does a hell of a lot of walking round there, including areas well of the regular paths.

Thanks for reply, but I assure you that I saw this creature. So at least still one around. I know that my sighting was pure luck and a blessing. But I assure you that some creature that looks like a Kangaroo was in Greno Woods today at approx 5pm.

Thanks for reply, but I assure you that I saw this creature. So at least still one around. I know that my sighting was pure luck and a blessing. But I assure you that some creature that looks like a Kangaroo was in Greno Woods today at approx 5pm.

I'm not doubting you at all, when i tell people i've seen adders in Sheffield i get "the look". ;)

I'm not doubting you at all, when i tell people i've seen adders in Sheffield i get "the look". ;)

Thanks, not saying you doubted me, just I still don't / can't believe it myself. A wonderful, truley one-off sighting, like said made my day.

I would imagine the colony would have died out due to inbreeding.

Has said in the title, I was cycling through Greno Woods today, and I saw an animal running away from me.

It looked like a Kangaroo, I know this is impossible, but saw it with my own eyes. Look I know it wasn't a Kangaroo, but something along them lines. Has anyone else seen this?

Not a wind-up, I did see this and just what it is?

How big was this animal ?

Now you've got the bug, head up Kinder or Bleaklow, and have a butchers at the mountain hares, i posted pics on a forum last year and no-one would believe i saw totally white hares up there, most believe they never venture this far south and are only seen in Scotlandshire. :hihi:

Archived