Bank holiday pay?

does anyone know if an employer can claim off the govt to pay their workers for bank hols. i work in a after school club and we dont get paid them. someone has told me our emplyer can claim it from the govt. any advice welcome

I read this morning that if your contract says you have at least 20 days off plus all public and Bank Holidays then you are entitled to the extra day, however if it just lists the 8 statutory Bank Holidays then you are probably scuppered.

The clue is in the name “bank” holiday.

A bank holiday is a public holiday in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. There is no automatic right to time off on these days, although the majority of the population not employed in essential services (e.g. utilities, fire, ambulance, police, health-care, public transport workers) receive them as holidays; those employed in essential services usually receive extra pay for working on these days.

The first official bank holidays were the four days named in the Bank Holidays Act 1871, but today the term is colloquially used for public holidays which are not officially bank holidays, for example Good Friday and Christmas Day.

Archived