Prefabs in/around Sheffield

My aunt had a prefab on Hollybank (I think it was) down the bottom of the hill from Intake.

I remember the floor bounced as someone walked across it. You could feel quite seasick at times, lol. She moved from there into a maisonette on Hyde Park.

I also remember the taps for the bath were quite strange, as they came out of the wall instead of coming out of the bath-base. they were like oversized "Supataps"

My auntie lived in one at Totley she says , when it rained it was like living in a tin, but she also said she would still live there now , it was well built and habbitable, she now lives not far from there but does remember them well. I still have the baby belling cooker she had and it still works ! we only use it when doing alot of cooking.

Has anyone ever lived in a Prefab ('prefabricated house') in Sheffield, or do you know someone who did?

Some friends and I are putting together an online project at Uni about local Prefabs and we wanted to know what people thought of them. We know they were really well received when they were first built - there was loads of excitement about them after WWII.

We won't use any of your answers in the project without your permission - we just wanted to get a feel for what it was like to live in a Prefab here in Sheffield. So any response would be really appreciated. :)

Hi,

My parents moved into a prefab just after the war. It was on Errington Avenue, at Arbourthorne. Ater living in rented rooms, they said it was a wonderful little house. All mod cons. Even a fridge, and their very own garden. I don't remember it being cold at all. It had a solid fuel burner, that heated the bathroom up. I have still got the cutting from The Star newspaper that mentions how much all the housewives loved them.(My mum kept it because she was mentioned !)

Unfortunatly the Sheffield Gales flattened the one that we lived in, in 1962.

Cal.

My parents had a prefab on Mansfield Drive. I remember it still being around when I was about ten. They always used to say how cosy it was.

my aunt and uncle lived on mansfield drive cant remember number but it was the last one on the right hand side called phillips here garden baced onto the graveyard!

Thanks very much for all your answers, this is all really interesting and should be very helpful.

When we make some more progress with the project over the next few weeks I'll be back in touch.

Archived