Prefabs in/around Sheffield

Has anyone ever lived in a Prefab ('prefabricated house') in Sheffield, or do you know someone who did?

Some friends and I are putting together an online project at Uni about local Prefabs and we wanted to know what people thought of them. We know they were really well received when they were first built - there was loads of excitement about them after WWII.

We won't use any of your answers in the project without your permission - we just wanted to get a feel for what it was like to live in a Prefab here in Sheffield. So any response would be really appreciated. :)

i remember the frefabs on the arbouthore in the sixtys and ther was a gale over a couple of days and blew loads of them down it was reported on the bbc look north grogramme and i think it was the lite cliff michaelmore who reeported on it

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in a pre-fab in lower Arbourthorne in early 60's. It survived the "Sheffield Gale" although we felt it moving a bit! It was one of the aluminium type, fully fitted with all mod cons (for then) eg. fridge, cooker...warm in summer and bl***y cold in winter. We moved from there to another pre-fab at Totley...this time one clad in asbestos, nice and healthy eh?

• 4 months later...

Probably too late for your project now. My first house was a pebble-dashed prefab on Sky Edge Avenue and I loved it. Lived there from 1966 until they pulled them down in early 70's. At that time as the old folk were moving out young families were being moved in so it was a great place to be, very friendly and lots of kids to play together. Kitchens were fitted with electric cooker and a fridge!! Finally could do away with the bucket of cold water to keep the milk from turning (lol). Two double bedrooms with fitted wardrobes. Separate bathroom and toilet. Large hall with cupboard space. We even had an emersion heater to use in the summer when it was too warm for a fire! I was sad when we had to leave and the House we moved to on Wordsworth Ave PX although quite bit did not have the same homely cosy feel of my prefab.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably too late for your project now. My first house was a pebble-dashed prefab on Sky Edge Avenue and I loved it. Lived there from 1966 until they pulled them down in early 70's. At that time as the old folk were moving out young families were being moved in so it was a great place to be, very friendly and lots of kids to play together. Kitchens were fitted with electric cooker and a fridge!! Finally could do away with the bucket of cold water to keep the milk from turning (lol). Two double bedrooms with fitted wardrobes. Separate bathroom and toilet. Large hall with cupboard space. We even had an emersion heater to use in the summer when it was too warm for a fire! I was sad when we had to leave and the House we moved to on Wordsworth Ave PX although quite bit did not have the same homely cosy feel of my prefab.

we lived on sky edge avenue i went to manor lane infant school it was a great place .lived there from 1947 to 1952

we lived on sky edge avenue i went to manor lane infant school it was a great place .lived there from 1947 to 1952

You must have known Miss. Horner and Miss Carnell then. I went to Manor Lane around the same time. Do you remember when the new building was built at the back of the old one?

You must have known Miss. Horner and Miss Carnell then. I went to Manor Lane around the same time. Do you remember when the new building was built at the back of the old one?

Yes I do remember Miss Carnell although I dont remember the new building I used to live at the top end of Sky Edge Avenue at the first round cut away in the road in the road next to Roger Hedley and Valary Hedley their father worked at Cravens.

• 6 months later...

Archived