Mods on other forums changing thread titles ?

I have no doubt it happens on some forums. You can even have a plugin to view PM's depending on the forum software being run.

I've never seen the point of it though. As soon as someone finds out the forums reputation will go down hill and people will leave in droves.

I know we're not. But I don't know how "other forums" operate.

As a moderator on another forum, I've occasionally amended thread titles, usually at a posters request (spelling mistakes or to correct other minor errors).

However, on that forum, just like Sheffield Forum, there are certain Terms & Conditions that a user agrees to when they register. On Sheffield Forum the pertinent bits are:

Users grant to us a world-wide, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive licence (including the right to sub-license) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any content (in whole or part) Users upload, post or e-mail and/or to incorporate such content in other works in any form, media or technology now known or developed.

Since you aren't using your real name and you've already agreed to the above T&C when you registered, legally you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

(A link to the T&C can be found at the bottom of every page.)

Hi all

I was wondering what the legal implication of this would be ?

For example, if some Moderator changes your thread title to something 'racist', obviously that'll be attributed to yourself (since you'd be the thread-starter).

IMO, I can't see this being different to real life; if someone clearly twisted what you said, I'm sure you'd have a case in the Law courts.

Would it be the same on a forum ?

Thanks.

I don't understand why you are asking this question?

Have you a hidden agenda?

More likely the title would be changed to be non racist.

Even then the posts would be probably out of context.

As a moderator on another forum, I've occasionally amended thread titles, usually at a posters request (spelling mistakes or to correct other minor errors).

However, on that forum, just like Sheffield Forum, there are certain Terms & Conditions that a user agrees to when they register. On Sheffield Forum the pertinent bits are:

Users grant to us a world-wide, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive licence (including the right to sub-license) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any content (in whole or part) Users upload, post or e-mail and/or to incorporate such content in other works in any form, media or technology now known or developed.

Since you aren't using your real name and you've already agreed to the above T&C when you registered, legally you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

(A link to the T&C can be found at the bottom of every page.)

Thanks; and re. the modify bit, how can that clearly be right ? - are you saying if certain 'powers that be' change what you've written to be completely the opposite, then there's no comeback ? - as mentioned in the OP, what if a Mod changed the title to a racist one, and someone challenged you for it ? - maybe even to begin legal proceedings ?!

I know it's a bit extreme, but surely the Court would see your POV ?

I don't understand why you are asking this question?

Have you a hidden agenda?

More likely the title would be changed to be non racist.

Even then the posts would be probably out of context.

No agenda from me at all. Just asking what the legal position would be (if any).

If I was you I'd put up and shut up, I know things you've written on other forums and the other forums you're banned from and as far as I'm concerned you wouldn't want anybody digging into the kind of things you post that much would you?

Lol ! - what the hell are you talking about ? :loopy:

Archived