TV license for static caravan

It really annoys me that I have to buy a second license for a static van.It is only used by family and friends for perhaps 8 weeks a year,and when we are there we are not using the Telly at home.

Apart from which,not being big Telly watchers,the main uses to play DVDs for the grandkids.

I don't know what the licensing letters are like now, but for the first year we did not have a tv,but the letters from this authority,refused to believe that this was true and sent increasingly obnoxious and threatening letters.when we did put in the small portable,I paid the fee,despite believing it to be totally un fair to have to buy a full cost license.

If the caravan is static a licence for your home address provides sufficient coverage if television sets are not used at the same time at home and in the static caravan.

"For a static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet used as your second home. You’re covered by your main home’s TV Licence, as long as you or your family don’t watch TV in both premises at the same time." - TV licensing website

I'm pertty sure you need a license for any equipment than can recieve a signal, wether you use it for such purposes or not.

"Receive a signal" is the operative phrase. If its not connected to an internal or external aerial then it can't receive a signal.

Its the same as the old CB radios. You had to have a licence to use one, but you didn't if you left it unused under the stairs.

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a declaration form.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8/

:)

It really annoys me that I have to buy a second license for a static van.It is only used by family and friends for perhaps 8 weeks a year,and when we are there we are not using the Telly at home.

Apart from which,not being big Telly watchers,the main uses to play DVDs for the grandkids.

I don't know what the licensing letters are like now, but for the first year we did not have a tv,but the letters from this authority,refused to believe that this was true and sent increasingly obnoxious and threatening letters.when we did put in the small portable,I paid the fee,despite believing it to be totally un fair to have to buy a full cost license.

Obviously I cant say what I want to say because it probably breaks Forum rules, but those who enforce the TV License are NOT from the Police or the Government, but from a company called Capita. These "enforcement officials" have no right to enter your property, and despite what they say have no legal right to speak to you. They may use the term "interview under caution" however this is a load of bull's droppings and you can just close the door in their face.

I hope the above helps you make an informed decision as to whether to renew the license next year. A quick Internet search will bring up various sites, unfortunately I am probably not allowed to link to them, PM me if you want details.

Archived