TV license for static caravan

We don't have one for ours as when we are at the caravan the Tv at home is not being used same when family come theirs at home is not used. Sites that rent caravans out though tell you that you should have one in case people use a Tv at home and away ie if some of the family are still at home as is sometimes the case with older kids.

yep demmo you are right they have no powers unless they bring the law with them and they have a search warant to look in your property for a tv which unfortunatley they did with me 3 coppers 2 tv blokes to look for a tv banged to rights lol

I'm pertty sure you need a license for any equipment than can recieve a signal, wether you use it for such purposes or not.

If your just watching dvd's then buy yourself a monitor, these dont have tuners in them but can display pictures sent from dvd.

Obviously I cant say what I want to say because it probably breaks Forum rules, but those who enforce the TV License are NOT from the Police or the Government, but from a company called Capita. These "enforcement officials" have no right to enter your property, and despite what they say have no legal right to speak to you. They may use the term "interview under caution" however this is a load of bull's droppings and you can just close the door in their face.

I hope the above helps you make an informed decision as to whether to renew the license next year. A quick Internet search will bring up various sites, unfortunately I am probably not allowed to link to them, PM me if you want details.

what damo said.

Thanks for all your advice.I have been away for a few days ...at the caravan,so just catching up.

Just to answer one point,within a very few weeks of buying the caravan we receivedvthe first of several letters from the licensing authority.I can only assume that they are informed by the site where the caravan is situated.

At first we did not intend having a TV at all,so then got a second more ominous letter as they obviously don't believe that anyone can live without a telly.

Anyway,in view of your collective wisdom I will now check out the fine detail and then decide on a course of action.

It really annoys me that I have to buy a second license for a static van.It is only used by family and friends for perhaps 8 weeks a year,and when we are there we are not using the Telly at home.

Apart from which,not being big Telly watchers,the main uses to play DVDs for the grandkids.

I don't know what the licensing letters are like now, but for the first year we did not have a tv,but the letters from this authority,refused to believe that this was true and sent increasingly obnoxious and threatening letters.when we did put in the small portable,I paid the fee,despite believing it to be totally un fair to have to buy a full cost license.

We have a narrow boat and we dont have to pay a tv licence, are you sure thats right

They'll obviously try and chase you for money, and a lot of people will just pay. But once you know you don't need to, you will get it sorted.

I used to live in a flat above a shop. had my address as 484 as I did for everything, as all the post went to the shop. Once I had a TV license, I started getting letters for 'Flat above 484' - They decided as it was 2 properties, we should have 2 TV licences. When told I didn't own the shop, and to the best of my knowledge, the shop didn't have a TV, they wanted me to take out a new licence in the flat address, but still tried taking the DD for the shop address. When I cancelled the DD with the bank, they carried on trying to chase me for both addresses :loopy:

Just checked the tv licensing website. Should have done so earlier.It clearly states under second homes that provided we don't use both tvs at the same time (not sure how I'd do this with them being 100 miles apart),then the one license covers both.Lookks like I may have to sign a declaration to that effect.

Anyway,the DD gets cancelled tomorrow,and look forward to getting the threatening letters.

Thanks to all for saving me a few hundred quid.

,the main uses to play DVDs for the grandkids.

Easy then. Disconnect the aerial and detune the set. That way the licence nazis can come as many times as they like and you can suggest sex and travel on every occasion.

There is sod all they can do about a set that is incapable of receiving a transmitted signal regardless of what they tell you.

They tried it on with me several times and got an "offski" tablet every time.

As for the letters, wipe your arse on them and send them back.

Archived