M&S and the elderly-what is the thinking process here?

The point I was making is that Somerfield is near M&S and Sainsburys

Indeed it is Christopher Columbus.

The Spar is also near Asda at home but I choose to go to Asda instead as I prefer it to the Spar.

I've even been in Netto before :o

When in town, I wouldn't avoid Somerfield but given a choice, i'd rather use M&S & Sainsburys as I prefer them.

So in your expert opinion, does that make me a snob, part-time snob or not a snob at all?

Indeed it is Christopher Columbus.

The Spar is also near Asda at home but I choose to go to Asda instead as I prefer it to the Spar.

I've even been in Netto before :o

When in town, I wouldn't avoid Somerfield but given a choice, i'd rather use M&S & Sainsburys as I prefer them.

So in your expert opinion, does that make me a snob, part-time snob or not a snob at all?

You already know the answer to that

Elderly people (generally speaking) are a lot more loyal to brands/companies than say my generation. They "trust" the brand, they enjoy the quality of the product and they know that they will be satisfied with the product, therefore they remain loyal to them. Marks have a glowing reputation... couple that with a bit of snobbery and there you have it.

Being far from elderly myself, I must admit that I am "loyal" to M&S on a few things... It's a "treat" place for me. The rest of the time I'm a deal shopper and do my weekly shop based on whats on offer and what I fancy.

Last few times I was in the cafe it was packed with mothers with buggies, at least two small children or babies, one usually crying, the staff (whom I know) said it was getting like a nursery, then when they get into the food section they block the aisles along with the trolley ladies - and the worse thing is when there are women in their eighties they usually ask the till assistants to pack their shopping, after they've taken ages finding cash or card - I had to ask when was the best time to go in to either get a seat or the shortest queue .... and I'm not telling!

Older people have time on their hands so don't need to do big shopping trips, hence the number of baskets versus trolleys.

Older people have bus passes so it's more convenient to shop in M&S rather than a large supermarket which is further from the bus stop, generally. This may also contribute to the use of baskets only as they will have to carry the goods in bags rather than in the boot of the car.

M&S tends not to be full of silly children who judge people on their shopping habits and their clothes sense.

Archived