Working Class and Proud! Sharing Childhood Memories!

Hi everyone,

I'm a student creating a project which explores the experience of working-class childhood in Sheffield. I'm looking at how people from Sheffield remember, think and write about their childhood in the city and I'd be really grateful if you could share some of your memories with me!

My grandparents grew up in Attercliffe during the 1940's/50's and so this project has a real level of personal resonance with me, as I'm learning so much about my heritage and my own links with the city.

Whether it be an anecdote about the food you used to like, the house you lived in, Christmas/birthdays/special events throughout the year, your relationship with your parents or your siblings, I'd love to hear from you- anything goes really! I'm looking to collect lots of childhood memories which prove that Sheffield was a truly special city to be brought up in as a working-class child.

Thanks!

Well born in 1947 and living on The Manor until 1952, I obviously had no concept of class. However living in a Gleadless council estate didn't make me feel working class, I was too busy being The Cisco Kid, Dan Dare and Roy of the Rovers. And then came the 60's when everyone could do anything, or so they said.

As a 63 year old living in Totley you may be surprised to know that most of the folk who live neareby that I call friends originate from similar upbringings to me, with the exception of my wife who came from a terraced house in S7, posh bugger. When we all get into alcohol induced reflections, it usually ends up being about who lived in the smallest cardboard box and how many times a week our main meal consisted of bread and dripping.

I can't recall ever thinking of myself as being working class, I was just me, things were achievable, jobs were plentiful, I bought a brand new Mini 1000 in the 60's.

So no class at all, it's all in peoples heads, some of the worst snobs that I have met come from similar upbringings to myself, conversely some of the nicest folk that I know come from what some folk would call privileged upbringings.

Well born in 1947 and living on The Manor until 1952, I obviously had no concept of class. However living in a Gleadless council estate didn't make me feel working class, I was too busy being The Cisco Kid, Dan Dare and Roy of the Rovers. And then came the 60's when everyone could do anything, or so they said.

As a 63 year old living in Totley you may be surprised to know that most of the folk who live neareby that I call friends originate from similar upbringings to me, with the exception of my wife who came from a terraced house in S7, posh bugger. When we all get into alcohol induced reflections, it usually ends up being about who lived in the smallest cardboard box and how many times a week our main meal consisted of bread and dripping.

I can't recall ever thinking of myself as being working class, I was just me, things were achievable, jobs were plentiful, I bought a brand new Mini 1000 in the 60's.

So no class at all, it's all in peoples heads, some of the worst snobs that I have met come from similar upbringings to myself, conversely some of the nicest folk that I know come from what some folk would call privileged upbringings.

Im sorry Crookesey but I was the Cisco Kid, "Eh Pancho"? I lived on Harborough Avenue till the sixties then moved to Gleadless Valley but we were poor,we had dripping sandwiches three times a week but could not afford the bread. I once asked My Dad if I could have an Encylcopaedia but he told me I had to walk to School like all my Sisters did.

Im sorry Crookesey but I was the Cisco Kid, "Eh Pancho"? I lived on Harborough Avenue till the sixties then moved to Gleadless Valley but we were poor,we had dripping sandwiches three times a week but could not afford the bread. I once asked My Dad if I could have an Encylcopaedia but he told me I had to walk to School like all my Sisters did.

OK clever bugger, how big was your cardboard box? :hihi:

Cardboard box? we laid in our tissue paper tent dreaming of winning ninepence so we could buy a second hand cardboard box!

'Tissue paper', where did you manage to nick that from? We used to have to manage with chip paper found in bus shelters, not being able to afford such luxuries ourselves. And our tenth hand cardboard box was so small that we had to take turns crouching in it.

Hi everyone,

I'm a student creating a project which explores the experience of working-class childhood in Sheffield. I'm looking at how people from Sheffield remember, think and write about their childhood in the city and I'd be really grateful if you could share some of your memories with me!

My grandparents grew up in Attercliffe during the 1940's/50's and so this project has a real level of personal resonance with me, as I'm learning so much about my heritage and my own links with the city.

Whether it be an anecdote about the food you used to like, the house you lived in, Christmas/birthdays/special events throughout the year, your relationship with your parents or your siblings, I'd love to hear from you- anything goes really! I'm looking to collect lots of childhood memories which prove that Sheffield was a truly special city to be brought up in as a working-class child.

Thanks!

Please forgive our frivolity luv, you've quite simply kick started two silly old buggers into what is sadly forgotten humor. ;)

Archived