Working Class and Proud! Sharing Childhood Memories!

Hi Hillsbro,

I went to look at this article, it's very good and quite important to get these memories recorded as they become social documents don't they? Very interesting.

Ditto.Ialso enjoyed the article...It was like talking to my 88 yr old mum whos family was 1 of the first on shiregreen and YES they thought it was heaven moving from a 2 up 2 down in Attercliffe...ps Hillsbro,your home looks smashing..:love:

I painted white strips on my Stanley Matthews style football boots to give the impression of "continentals", Dad couldnt afford to buy me some. Also a Appenny duck from the rag and tag was delicious. (a savourey concoction of offal), Grannellis ice cream (still going), with raspberry sauce, heaven. Getting weighed on the throne in the rag and tag, every Sat morning, photos at the Co-Op on Angel St, I think.

Hi whitehorses - yes I quite agree, personal memories need to be written down. My childhood was only 50 or so years ago but it might as well be another world in view of how things have changed - and of course they will continue to change. The article came about as a result of a researcher appealing for information via the Forum about life in back-to-back houses. Although I wouldn't swop my cosy bungalow (photos taken today) for the house I was born in - with the attendant need to get up early and light the fire, trek across the yard to the loo etc. - people who experienced this sort of poverty (as it would now be called) are able better to appreciate their modern lifestyle and comforts.

OMG I want that house :love:

When I say "Tissue" paper I was just calling it what my Dad called it,it was actually skin of paint that my Dad procured from a discarded tin of Tartan paint, I never realised all these years later Id have to explain my shame. Ah! chip papers we would stand outside Wilkos chip shop and ask if we could wipe a used chip paper on our hair to stop it sticking up.I can remember painting our ankles with lampblack to give the impression of socks and I had to wear a pair of old football boots that some wealthy person threw at me when I was barking like a dog outside their house, sorry cardboard box! I still have the boots in a glass case just in case hard times come again BUT Im pround of my semi-detached cardboard box (one of Pickerings best) that I reside in now. You must have had the life of Riley in your box Crookesey, did it have a Gym & Sauna?

Did your parents have the same remedy for constipation that mine had? They used to take me down to the thunder box at the bottom of the yard, sit me on it and tell me ghost stories until the problem was solved.

Pickering Box Company eh, I have known Chris Pickering and his partner Sue for a number of years, unfortunately the company is no longer trading, no fault of Chris, he sold it years ago.

And I now live in a detached cardboard box, so there. :P

Did your parents have the same remedy for constipation that mine had? They used to take me down to the thunder box at the bottom of the yard, sit me on it and tell me ghost stories until the problem was solved.

Pickering Box Company eh, I have known Chris Pickering and his partner Sue for a number of years, unfortunately the company is no longer trading, no fault of Chris, he sold it years ago.

And I now live in a detached cardboard box, so there. :P

I use to dream my days away wishing I could listen to ghost stories, we were that poor we couldnt afford them. Constipation, we were taken on to the Manor fields and our bums were shoved through a hole in a wall and told that the Bull was looking for a Cow, so you can guess what that made me do, sometimes before I had time to take my brown paper trousers off. The rather stiff wind to-day blew my roof off, we are going to cover it in tissue, shows you nothing really changes Crookesey. Mmm detached box my you must be really wealthy!!

Archived