Dangerous cyclists

Well I earn about £14,000 a year and do about 300 miles a week in my car. I enjoy driving and compared to a lot of other things, such as fizzy pop, washing up liquid and alcohol, £1.30 for a litre is relatively cheap

Well in value terms, if you're driving 300 miles a week then you must be doing an awful lot of washing up to feel that's a good comparison.

Assuming a reasonable efficiency of 40/gallon and 4.5litres/gallon that means you're spending about £45/week on fuel.

That's about £2000 a year. You're spending a 7th of your entire income (pre tax? or post?) on fuel and you think it's cheaper than washing up liquid? I probably spend <£10 a year on washing up liquid.

Well I earn about £14,000 a year and do about 300 miles a week in my car. I enjoy driving and compared to a lot of other things, such as fizzy pop, washing up liquid and alcohol, £1.30 for a litre is relatively cheap

On the one hand you could say that many of us on modest incomes that have computers, HD TV's and I phones etc and yet still run a car have had it too good for too long, the price of cars, fuel and insurance has been kept artificially low, and all that is happening now is the cost of motoring is starting to get more realistic.

On the other hand you could ask yourself why the cost of motoring has been kept artificially low, is it because they like us and are doing us a favour? or is it because the type of capitalist society we have wouldnt function without the masses getting to their work places and do their shopping conveniently?

a few years ago i used to cycle across the city to and from work. i wouldn't say i was a dangerous cyclist but on the roads it is dog eat dog and you have to have your wits about you. wherever possible i used to go through red lights and dodge around vehicles using the pavement but only if it was safe to do so. the main danger for cyclists is drivers of motor vehicles who generally show no courtesy to cyclists and i used to have near misses almost everyday due to rude drivers.

On the one hand you could say that many of us on modest incomes that have computers, HD TV's and I phones etc and yet still run a car have had it too good for too long, the price of cars, fuel and insurance has been kept artificially low, and all that is happening now is the cost of motoring is starting to get more realistic.

On the other hand you could ask yourself why the cost of motoring has been kept artificially low, is it because they like us and are doing us a favour? or is it because the type of capitalist society we have wouldnt function without the masses getting to their work places and do their shopping conveniently?

80% of the cost of fuel is tax, I'm not sure how it can have been considered to have been artificially low or that it's now become realistic?

a few years ago i used to cycle across the city to and from work. i wouldn't say i was a dangerous cyclist but on the roads it is dog eat dog and you have to have your wits about you. wherever possible i used to go through red lights and dodge around vehicles using the pavement but only if it was safe to do so. the main danger for cyclists is drivers of motor vehicles who generally show no courtesy to cyclists and i used to have near misses almost everyday due to rude drivers.

Cycling like that I'm not surprised that motorists didn't like you. It's just a shame the police never spotted you.

80% of the cost of fuel is tax, I'm not sure how it can have been considered to have been artificially low or that it's now become realistic?

The shear volume of traffic on the roads tells me that it can't have been that expensive in previous years when most people bought their cars.

Assuming a reasonable efficiency of 40/gallon and 4.5litres/gallon that means you're spending about £45/week on fuel.

That's about £2000 a year. You're spending a 7th of your entire income (pre tax? or post?) on fuel and you think it's cheaper than washing up liquid? I probably spend <£10 a year on washing up liquid.

I do about 55mpg

Diesel I paid 137.9p a litre yesterday

Flash All Purpose £1.88 a litre or 2 for £3

Daisy Washing Up Liquid £0.70 for 500ml or £1.40 a litre

Carlsberg Export Cans £2.20 a litre

Archived