Dangerous cyclists

Earlier today I saw a car pull around in front of the car ahead of them to block it in. The occupants got out and the driver had a big steering lock in his hand with which he started ranting and raving and banging on the other car while the driver tried to escape. Thankfully it didn't turn into a road rage murder.

Incredibly there were absolutely no cyclists involved involved.

Cycling like that I'm not surprised that motorists didn't like you. It's just a shame the police never spotted you.

i did once get stopped by a plod for jumping red lights. the cop was on a motorbike and he caught up with me and did say he could do me for it. luckily for me he said he would let it go provided i rode more responsibly.

Some people use more washing up liquid than me some people use less, some people use more petrol than me, some use more

Which doesn't alter the fact that you spend a seventh of your income on petrol, and practically nothing on washing up liquid...

I don't really have a problem with the idea, many of us cyclists have taken such a test. But I really don't think it will make any significant difference.

For one thing, the driving test only demonstrates that having proved competence, people will then carry on as if they don't need to be competent. Do you really drive in such a way as would pass you your driving test?I know that when cycling I do take the precautions required by the Highway Code and the Cycling Proficiency test and cycle in a way which is safe.

For one thing competence in driving a car in a safe way is considerably harder than cycling in a safe way. I very rarely (although occasionally) see someone cycling whose problem is incompetence. If the driving test was abolished, however, then I think there would be a huge increase in the amount of incompetent drivers (and even with a driving test there still are some drivers who are incompetent through habit).

But in the case of drivers and cyclists competence is not currently the major problem - it is attitude, which causes them to not bother to use their competence.

No Tackart doesn't. :D

He says so on the Twentywell Speed camera thread in Sheffield Discussions... Check it out...

:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackart

"Being aware and abiding are two different things - I am aware the speed limit on motorways is usually 70, but I regularly go over that

For driving a motor vehicle? They should introduce a cycling license also

None, I drive about 20,000

Or, introduce a test for cycling on the road

It's the law for the police/highway agency to warn people of speed camera's etc otherwise it would be entrapment"

Seems a bit strange to be advocating a license or test for a set of road users because you observe them breaking the rules occasionally, whilst saying that you don't bother to stick to the rules yourself...

Having a license doesn't appear to stop the hundreds of drivers I see breaking the law every day.

In the space of just 100 yards yesterday I saw:

3 cars parked on double yellows. (No disabled badges.)

2 cars parked on the zig zags approaching a zebra.

1 car double parked into the road.

1 car coming the other way on his mobile. Same driver had no seat belt.

1 passing me at rather more that the prescribed limit.

So, how did having a license stop them then?

Why would it be different for cyclists?

You don't cycle on the road, so have no real understanding of the issues. Whereas adult cyclists are also drivers so see both "sides".

I cycle thousands of miles on the road. I drive many more thousands on the roads. I see the odd nutter on a bike.

But I see many more nutters driving cars. And I'm damn sure I know which are the more dangerous...

Discussing this amongs friends and colleagues, there is agreement that they (me included) are better drivers since cycling regularly. Hence my belief of being obliged to cycle 1000 miles with an instructor prior to being allowed to sit behind the wheel of a car.

Win win situation. Can't think of a negative.

Copied and pasted from the Twentywell Speed camera thread.

And regarding the naughty behaviour of the above drivers:

No cyclists involved.:o

I was on Queens Road the other day and a driver approached a light that had just turned red and rightly stopped. The driver behind for some reason assumed that the first driver was going to make a dash through the red light and that they could do the same, so instead of braking, they accelerated. Result - they piled into the back of the first driver.

No cyclists were involved.

Cant be arsed to read the entire thread as most of it will be cyclist/car bashing but anyway if cars kill 600 p.a and cyclist kill 2.5 p.a, what is that compared to the % of each on the road?

Would be interesting to see if this changes the figures?

Or even better miles traveled by car per death per year, vs miles traveled by cycle per death per year.

Cant be arsed to read the entire thread as most of it will be cyclist/car bashing but anyway if cars kill 600 p.a and cyclist kill 2.5 p.a, what is that compared to the % of each on the road?

Would be interesting to see if this changes the figures?

a better % would be to work out total amount of drivers and total amount of cyclists to get a true figure of % deaths and injuries on the roads instead of blind figures being quoted with no true basis of facts

Archived