Dangerous cyclists

Also, Mine and the wife's bikes are insured so on the off-chance either of us have a lapse of judgement on the road, every ones covered.

without wanting to be pedantic, how does this work? My bike is insured to cover damage/theft, but its ME thats insured 3rd party. So, I could ride any bike and have 3rdP insurance, you seem to imply that anyone could be riding your bike and be covered.

Maybe its a typo, maybe its an alternative policy (which Ive never heard of), maybe youve made it up??

I'm amazed it's taken a full day for someone to point out that you made all that up.

I did wonder about it. I don't dispute there's some truth in the conclusion, if you take it to mean that there could be a fair amount of momentum. Inertia has nothing to do with velocity though, merely mass, and I have no idea what "inertia weight" is.

You do have to ensure that you are giving visible signals as to your intention.

Glances over your shoulder, moving your road position well before the car and also sticking your arm out should give the driver a clue as to what you're doing.

Another useful visble signal is that the cyclist appears to be heading towards that parked car.

As a driver, what do I expect the cyclist to do?

Is it:

a) continue as they are doing, and run into the back of it,

or,

b) move further out into the road and pass it.

How much information does a driver need?

Of course there are actions that the cyclist should do, but even if he didn't, it would be a pretty dim motorist that didn't expect the cyclist to pull out. Do we want dim motorists on the road?

Another useful visble signal is that the cyclist appears to be heading towards that parked car.

Is it:

or,

Of course there are actions that the cyclist should do, but even if he didn't, it would be a pretty dim motorist that didn't expect the cyclist to pull out. Do we want dim motorists on the road?

I'm not for a moment going to suggest that this is at the root of all motorist "grievances" against cyclists, but I do suspect that a proportion are cyclists doing completely sensible, rational things which the motorist should have anticipated - but didn't.

a better % would be to work out total amount of drivers and total amount of cyclists to get a true figure of % deaths and injuries on the roads instead of blind figures being quoted with no true basis of facts

Would it really be that interesting, do you honestly expect to prove anything other than that cars are more dangerous than bikes... It's a pretty self evident truth really. If a bike runs into you you have to be very unlucky to be seriously injured. If a car runs into you you have to be lucky not to be seriously injured... And cars run into lots more things/people because it generally doesn't hurt the driver, unlike on a cycle where it almost certainly hurts the cyclist.

you obviously have little idea about the laws of physics and momentum then, 15Kg for a bike,as you state, then another 65Kg for the rider = 80kg, then factor in inertia of travelling at 15mph, makes the impact weight more that triple so, its in fact nearly the equivalent of 1/4 of a ton inertia weight hitting you, thats gonna do a LOT of damage!!!!

Compare that to an average car weighing 1500kg and travelling at 30mph...

Is it:

or,

I asked Bassman this exact question some time ago. I don't think he ever answered it.

Archived