Dangerous cyclists

I asked Bassman this exact question some time ago. I don't think he ever answered it.

To be honest he did try, but I seem to remember he flailed his spade around so recklessly that he had to be put on the naughty step for a while.

Yeah, I was on that thread. He never did say where on earth he thought a cyclist was going to go when approaching a parked car. Ah, memories! :cool:

I asked Bassman this exact question some time ago. I don't think he ever answered it.
And Bassman told you he expected the cyclist to look behind him to see that it was safe to carry out the manoeuvre, but plonkers like Cyclone said that the motorists should nursemaid the stupid cyclists who ride with their minds elsewhere.

And Bassman told you he expected the cyclist to look behind him to see that it was safe to carry out the manoeuvre, but plonkers like Cyclone said that the motorists should nursemaid the stupid cyclists who ride with their minds elsewhere.

Meanwhile the rest of the forum explained that yes, a cyclist should look behind him, but also Bassman should look in front of him to see if it is safe to carry out his own manoeuvre.

You do have to ensure that you are giving visible signals as to your intention.

Glances over your shoulder, moving your road position well before the car and also sticking your arm out should give the driver a clue as to what you're doing.

That's asking too much of a cyclist, after all motorists are there to mollycoddle these untrained to be on the road idiots most of whome don't know what the Highway code is

That's asking too much of a cyclist, after all motorists are there to mollycoddle these untrained to be on the road idiots most of whome don't know what the Highway code is

Presumably you are specifically talking about cyclists who haven't taken a driving test here?

Meanwhile the rest of the forum explained that yes, a cyclist should look behind him, but also Bassman should look in front of him to see if it is safe to carry out his own manoeuvre.

No the rest didn't those who'd never read the highway code did.

So read this regarding cyclists

You should

look all around before moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (see 'Signals to other road users')•look well ahead for obstructions in the road, such as drains, pot-holes and parked vehicles so that you do not have to swerve suddenly to avoid them. Leave plenty of room when passing parked vehicles and watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your path

•be aware of traffic coming up behind you•take extra care near road humps, narrowings and other traffic calming features

•take care when overtaking (see Rules 162-169)

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Most of it commonsense to a normal person, but not it would seem to cyclists.

Archived