Dangerous cyclists

If police don't stop and issue a ticket to any cyclist caught riding on the pavement/footpath then they are not legaly doing their job!

The police do not have the power to misinterpret the law or choose which laws to enforce.

Actually the police do have a degree of discretion when it comes to enforcing the law.

Which part of the following don't you understand?

Taken from the Highway Code

•look all around before moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (see 'Signals to other road users')

As already discussed I understand it perfectly.

Which part of the Highway Code here do you not understand?

Before overtaking you should make sure

• the road is sufficiently clear ahead

That includes other obstacles that the road user in front may need to pass

Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

• do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit
  • take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution
  • where there are junctions, be prepared for road users emerging
  • in side roads and country lanes look out for unmarked junctions where nobody has priority
  • be prepared to stop at traffic control systems, road works, pedestrian crossings or traffic lights as necessary
  • try to anticipate what pedestrians and cyclists might do. If pedestrians, particularly children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you

You expect cyclists to make it easier for you to ignore rules 162 and 146, why is that? :roll:

Bassman62 - you are absolutely right that the cyclist should have checked over their shoulder before moving to the right of the car. There has been very little dispute on that, despite your insistence that there has.

There is a reason why checks like these are part of the Highway Code. It is because it is wrong and stupid to assume that other road users will also follow the Highway Code and have good position and manoeuvre correctly. This is exactly why drivers should look in their mirrors before slowing down - because the driver behind might not be correctly allowing space and so slowing down could cause a collision.

So the question arises, apart from this cyclists wrongness in breaking the Highway Code, what was the actual hazard? Why was their failure to look over their shoulder any problem to you. Presumably because in this case the look would have shown them that the car behind was too close and was about to carry out an ill-advised overtaking manoeuvre (at least they would have found that out if you had been indicating to overtake the cyclist. Were you?).

Here's another question. Hypothetically, you are walking towards a glass door which opens towards you. Through it you see someone else coming towards you on the other side of the door who will reach it moments before you. Do you

a) hold back so that they can open the door.

b) continue, reaching the door just as the other person pushes it open, causing the door to hit you in the face in the confusion.

Your response to the cyclist was analogous to b, as there was no other conceivable option for what course the cyclist was going to take.

Bassman62 -

Your attitude worries me. Your main argument is based around whether cyclists should indicate around a parked car. I think they should yes. I don't think that is under dispute.

My concern that I have about your argument is that you don't appear to be able to anticipate the action of other road users. What if a cyclist DOESN'T indicate - you seem to suggest this is a regular occurrence? I don't doubt that cyclists fail to indicate whilst passing a parked car, just as there are countless motorists who fail to indicate they are passing a parked car - I see this every day - there are fewer motorists who indicate around an obstruction than those that do. So what do you do in that situation? Anticipate the manoeuvre, or overtake whilst the cyclist is overtaking? What if a slow moving car is holding you up and doesn't indicate? Do you overtake them as well whilst they are performing the manoeuvre or do you "molly-coddle" them around like you do cyclists?

My other concern is that you may well be the type of impatient motorist that passes me unsafely most mornings. Even though I indicate around every parked car (yes, I'm one of those responsible cyclists so rare in your eyes) I still get motorists passing me on the overtake. The ones that really ought to re-take their test ('cos that solves everything according to you), are those that MUST get past me during the overtake only to find that the upcoming central reservation traffic island is now right in their path, and so they must swerve in front of me to get back in before they hit the concrete and drop the mobile phone that they were texting someone on.

Or maybe you are the sort who will overtake me on double white lines on a blind corner? When a vehicle is doing more than 10 miles an hour that is also illegal.

What words do you have to say about this behaviour? You do realise that these motorists are insured (well most of them), have a license, have passed a test years ago, could get a fine, points on their license or prosecuted, or if they kill me, serve time in prison. Yet strangely it appears to have had NO EFFECT on their behaviour.

Bassman62 -

Your attitude worries me. Your main argument is based around whether cyclists should indicate around a parked car. I think they should yes. I don't think that is under dispute.

My concern that I have about your argument is that you don't appear to be able to anticipate the action of other road users. What if a cyclist DOESN'T indicate - you seem to suggest this is a regular occurrence? I don't doubt that cyclists fail to indicate whilst passing a parked car, just as there are countless motorists who fail to indicate they are passing a parked car - I see this every day - there are fewer motorists who indicate around an obstruction than those that do. So what do you do in that situation? Anticipate the manoeuvre, or overtake whilst the cyclist is overtaking? What if a slow moving car is holding you up and doesn't indicate? Do you overtake them as well whilst they are performing the manoeuvre or do you "molly-coddle" them around like you do cyclists?

My other concern is that you may well be the type of impatient motorist that passes me unsafely most mornings. Even though I indicate around every parked car (yes, I'm one of those responsible cyclists so rare in your eyes) I still get motorists passing me on the overtake. The ones that really ought to re-take their test ('cos that solves everything according to you), are those that MUST get past me during the overtake only to find that the upcoming central reservation traffic island is now right in their path, and so they must swerve in front of me to get back in before they hit the concrete and drop the mobile phone that they were texting someone on.

Or maybe you are the sort who will overtake me on double white lines on a blind corner When a vehicle is doing more than 10 miles an hour that is also illegal.

What words do you have to say about this behaviour? You do realise that these motorists are insured (well most of them), have a license, have passed a test years ago, could get a fine, points on their license or prosecuted, or if they kill me, serve time in prison. Yet strangely it appears to have had NO EFFECT on their behaviour.

That's scary isn't it?

I've just been for a ride in the Peak District. Amongst my travels, I rode from Bakewell to Baslow, via that bit of the road with all the bends. And double white lines.

I was doing around 28 mph in primary.

This didn't stop the articulated tipper lorry overtaking me, on a blind bend, over double white lines, passing about a foot away from my right elbow. He's passed a test presumably. Didn't stop him driving like a tool. If I'd have been riding a police bicycle with a police high viz on, would he have done it? Of course not. He just didn't give a toss about my safety.

Another example of superb driving. Entered a village. I'm 10 yards from a 30 mph limit sign. I'm doing about 20 mph. White van forced his way past me at about 50 mph, buffeting me, and forcing the oncoming car to swerve.

Presumably he's passed a test and got a licence too.

Which is why I maintain potential drivers should be required to improve their perception by cycling 1000 miles on the road with an instructor before sitting behind the wheel of a car.

And Bassman still hasn't said where he thinks the cyclist will go when approaching a parked car. He's said all sorts of stuff about what he thinks cyclists should or shouldn't be doing.

But I want to know where he thinks the bike's going. This question does not require any quotes from the highway code. I simply want to know what his thoughts are as the where the cycle will go?

Just for your bassman62 and others

http://www.youtube.com/user/gaz545#p/u/5/uIoGBxhva6M

The cyclist with the camera clearly indicates right way before the upcoming parked white van - you can see his half gloved hand sticking out in the shot when he checks over his shoulder. The motorcyclist overtakes anyway, and then shoots thru a red light, followed by another motorcyclist. All the while the two cyclists in the video wait at red. Perhaps re-address your prejudices?

Oh and I should add that the motorcyclists might have been insured, almost certainly had a license and almost certainly passed arguably more stringent tests than it takes to drive a car. It appears to not have stopped them from breaking the law and using the roads dangerously.

You expect cyclists to make it easier for you to ignore rules 162 and 146, why is that? :roll:
I expect cyclist to look behind, signal and them manoever if it is safe to do so.

very simple is it asking too much for them to observe the Highway code?

Weren't you taught:-Mirror, signal, manoever?

Archived