Dangerous cyclists

It is a common site to see cyclist failing to observe one way signs especialy in Chesterfield.

Bramhall lane Sheffield has cycle lanes I often see cyclists riding on the pavement but I've yet to see one using the cycle lanes.

I have a particular concern with the Bramall Lane cycle lanes. In my opinion the cycle lanes are too narrow (they are well below the recommended width). As a result, some drivers view the remaining 'car' lane as all theirs, and they are therefore free to use the full width of it, right up to the edge of the cycle lane. As a result, they squeeze theough the gap between the cyclist and any oncoming traffic, regardless of whether there is enough room. As a result, they are much too close to the cyclist. The design of the road actually encourages too close overtaking. They seem to act as though the highway code requirement regarding overtaking cyclists no longer applies, as the cyclist is away in his own lane. I think that this road would be safer and better for all if the cycles lanes were removed. I think that as they are, they create a danger.

Having said that, this doesn't allow riding on the pavement. (Despite the confusion caused by whichever MP it was who advocated pavement cycling to get round a dangerous obstacle - this might be the sort of danger he had in mind).

When I've ridden on here I've used the cycle lane (not the pavement), but have felt particularly uncomfortable, as both the cycle lane and the car lane are uncomfortably narrow, IMO.

That you will answer the questions which you keep avoiding by saying that they are off-topic.

Oh, he never does that. Ever. Scared of exposing the gaping holes in his own logic - and looking like an even bigger clown than he already does. I.E. simply enormous.

When you post a topic about 'Dangerous dtivers I'll answer but this topic is about Dangerous cyclists of which it has now been well established that none actualy exist only dangerous drivers, pedestrians, cats, dogs, martians and anything else that gets in their way.

Are you just off in some sort of dream world? :suspect:

Everyone, from the start, accepted that running red lights is dangerous and that no one should do it.

You derailed the entire thread by wittering on about overtaking parked cars as if it were dangerous, and now you don't understand contra flows and seem to be in disagreement with the HC... :roll:

And how many languages should the contra flow signs be in for immigrants/visitors who can't speak English and have never read the Highway Code.

There should in my opinion be a compulsory profficiency test for all cyclists on our increasingly crowded roads, afetr all I recently saw police officers being given cycling tuition in Hillsborough Park.

im not disputing the highway code, what in saying it its dangerous, im well aware of the highway code, perhaps councils should consider the inherent potential danger to cyclists, or is that not worthy of consideration?

In the case of the Little London Road, then if a driver is unable to tell that part of the road is reserved for cyclists and to avoid anything which might appear in that portion of road, then there is a nasty surprise for them at the end of the road

What if they're colour blind or have only just arrived and can't read English?

Doesn't this support the call for a profficiency test?

So a cyclist must have a proficiency test in case a DRIVER is colourblind or can't read English?

Shouldn't it be the incompetent and sub-standard driver whose proficiency should be called into question?

Or do you want cyclists to go around nursemaiding bad drivers?

So a cyclist must have a proficiency test in case a DRIVER is colourblind or can't read English?

Shouldn't it be the incompetent and sub-standard driver whose proficiency should be called into question?

Or do you want cyclists to go around nursemaiding bad drivers?

Yes, cyclists should definitely have to take a test because who knows what havoc they will cause once the driver gets to a set of traffic lights! :loopy:

And how many languages should the contra flow signs be in for immigrants/visitors who can't speak English and have never read the Highway Code.

There should in my opinion be a compulsory profficiency test for all cyclists on our increasingly crowded roads, afetr all I recently saw police officers being given cycling tuition in Hillsborough Park.

If you disagree with contra-flow lanes which exist - FACT OF LAW, then lobby against them.

Can you also describe for me what a picture of a bicycle and an arrow look like in French, Urdu, Arabic etc. What do Somali bicycles look like and why are they different to English bicycles.

You don't even know what a contra-flow sign looks like do you? Go back and look at the street view links from earlier. There are NO WORDS on them - the language is UNIVERSAL

Please - do go and look, because even I am beginning to squirm with embarassment for you

Yes, cyclists should definitely have to take a test because who knows what havoc they will cause once the driver gets to a set of traffic lights! :loopy:

Indeed, because the cyclist needs to know that one of the drivers might be Johnny Foreigner who doesn't understand the colour red because he speaks a different language :hihi::hihi::hihi:

If you disagree with contra-flow lanes which exist - FACT OF LAW, then lobby against them.

Can you also describe for me what a picture of a bicycle and an arrow look like in French, Urdu, Arabic etc. What do Somali bicycles look like and why are they different to English bicycles.

You don't even know what a contra-flow sign looks like do you? Go back and look at the street view links from earlier. There are NO WORDS on them - the language is UNIVERSAL

Please - do go and look, because even I am beginning to squirm with embarassment for you

Ah, but the colourblind driver might not be able to see the difference between blue and white ;)

Archived