Dangerous cyclists

so a cyclist going the wrong way down a 1 way street is LEGAL????, well im not surprised that lots of people thing cyclists are dangerous, i would LOVE to know what streets where this is LEGAL to ride against the flow of traffic, as thats unbelievably dangerous, not just for the cyclist, but the poor car driver thats suddenly confronted with a cyclist coming the wrong way into the path of a moving car!!!:loopy::loopy:

there is one in town, it runs next to the crucible/lyceum area. There is another I cycle the "wrong" way down every day on the way to work. There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. The road will not fit two cars alongside each other.

LOOK, or will they just carry on and overtake without looking if a bus/car or HGV is right behind them at the time, at what point does not looking before making a maneuver make sense, they could be pulling out straight into the path of another vehicle and that makes them dangerous!!

Does that answer your question simply enough??

To a sensible person yes, but we're dealing with people here who seem to think that a cyclist is quite within his or her rights to drive around totaly oblivious to other traffic even when the Highway Code tells them to look before manoevering which seems too much to ask of these numptys.

To a sensible person yes, but we're dealing with people here who seem to think that a cyclist is quite within his or her rights to drive around totaly oblivious to other traffic even when the Highway Code tells them to look before manoevering which seems too much to ask of these numptys.

Originally Posted by dawny1970

so a cyclist going the wrong way down a 1 way street is LEGAL????, well im not surprised that lots of people thing cyclists are dangerous, i would LOVE to know what streets where this is LEGAL to ride against the flow of traffic, as thats unbelievably dangerous, not just for the cyclist, but the poor car driver thats suddenly confronted with a cyclist coming the wrong way into the path of a moving car!!!

llamatron replied

there is one in town, it runs next to the crucible/lyceum area. There is another I cycle the "wrong" way down every day on the way to work. There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. The road will not fit two cars alongside each other.

If a cyclist is going the wrong way in a one way street then it is the wrong way and only legal in the contra system for cyclists is indicated then it wouldn't be a completely one way street

No, you've just rephrased your previous failure-to-answer. It's not about simplicity - it just doesn't answer the question full stop.

a) Cyclone very specifically asked what path you would expect the bike to take.

b) the cyclist isn't making a manoeuvre, as they are staying in lane and not passing a moving vehicle.

c) I'll say it once again - it would have been better for them to look behind before changing position in the lane. However, their big mistake was to assume that the person behind wasn't driving dangerously.

You consistently seem to say that this makes the situation the cyclists fault, and that it's the cyclists behaviour which was dangerous. By the same criterion they are being dangerous by not looking upwards for the duration of their journey in case they need to dodge meteorites.

actually b) is wrong, they are making a manoeuvre, they are passing a parked vehicle, so my original statement stands, as its the correct thing to do!!

llamatron replied

If a cyclist is going the wrong way in a one way street then it is the wrong way and only legal in the contra system for cyclists is indicated then it wouldn't be a completely one way street

I might be wrong, but I think llamatron probably is referring to a contraflow, hence the inverted commas around "wrong". So basically it's a road which won't fit two cars alongside each other, but will fit a car and a bike. Ergo, it's quite sensible to allow bikes to go both ways down it, but only allow cars in one direction.

Once again, to Bassman in particular who is so far off the original topic of a "causing death by dangerous cycling" private members' bill it is ludicrous...

HOW WILL MAKING CYCLISTS TAKE A PROFICIENCY TEST IMPROVE THE ROADCRAFT OF FOREIGN NON-CYCLING VISITORS TO THIS COUNTRY?

Given that an absolute refusal to back up your earlier assertion naturally leads one to the conclusion that you were gibbering mindlessly with no logic or reason beyond a Vicky Pollard-eque "yerbutnobutyerbutnobut..."

No you haven't - you quite definitely haven't said what you expect the cycle to do in these circumstances as described in the a,b,c,d, scenario.
I'm not interested maybes I'm only interested in the officialy stated scenarios.

Do you want me to post the Highway Code section so that you and your crony won't have to make up stories.

I might be wrong, but I think llamatron probably is referring to a contraflow

You may or may not be wrong in your mind but let llimatron speak for itself.

The wrong way down a one way road is the wrong way! End of.

Archived