Dangerous cyclists

since when is a cyclist going through a red light observing the highway code then??

Nobody has suggested it is.

If we are going to introduce non sequitors like that, since when has motorists killing thousands of people on the road each year observing the highway code then??

i think its you, as that part of the highway code has been posted, but you just don't believe it, obviously because you don't know!!

I believe it, I also know what the Highway Code means.

You don't.

im sorry if it upsets you but, IF you read my posts, you will indeed see that i have answered the questions, its just that you don't like my answers, fine, but respect the fact that i have actually answered your questions, all i have had is abuse from cyclists who can do no harm EVER and ALWAYS ride perfect, well im sorry, if that was the case, then a private members bill would not be happening would it??, feel free to answer that question!!

Can you answer this question? Which cyclist on this thread has claimed to always 'ride perfect'? I don't recall any.

Unlike Bassman who has just claimed that he observes the highway code. Hmmm, never once ever so slightly ever creeps over the speed limit? Always observes the Highway Code? 100%?

This is a pretty stupid thread.

A phrase which is misleading, I think, is 'pulling out'. This suggests to me quite a sudden movement whereby the cyclist who up until (s)he encounters the obstruction has been hovering in the gutter, and suddenly swings out into the middle of the road.

In reality, the cyclist anticipates the obstruction and is able to move out gradually from a distance and then pass said obstruction. As the cyclist shouldn't be riding in the gutter in the first place, the amount of pulling out is often quite minimal.

The circumstances will dictate how much checking (s)he does before starting to move out.

• As often as not the main danger is oncoming traffic.

• If moving at pace downhill then bike speed may be much the same as motorised traffic speed. The bike is likely to be further from the kerb even without obstructions (to avoid potholes, and to allow more latitude if something should happen, like a car pulling out from a side road, so any moving out distance is minimal. No need to look behind. And in fact, looking behind at speed requires a fair amount of skill to keep the bike steady and so is not always a safe manoeuvre.

• If completely quiet road (it happens sometimes!) then no need to look behind. Unlike in a car, it's possible to hear surrounding traffic.

• Grinding uphill the bike is likely to be nearer the kerb and needing to move out more to avoid obstructions. This is the time when you think 'yeah, I can hear x behind me, I'm going to check I'm not going to get killed by swinging out into the road...'

I guess my point is that arguing for m-s-m all the time is a bit silly. It's really a case of applying due caution for the circumstances - shades of grey, if you like, rather than black n white.

Can you answer this question? Which cyclist on this thread has claimed to always 'ride perfect'? I don't recall any.

Unlike Bassman who has just claimed that he observes the highway code. Hmmm, never once ever so slightly ever creeps over the speed limit? Always observes the Highway Code? 100%?

twisting it back onto the car i see because when confronted with the facts you do not like it i see!!

all i have had is abuse from cyclists who can do no harm EVER and ALWAYS ride perfect

Just point me to the post where one of us has claimed this.

Can you also point me to the post or posts where you have answered the above questions?

Thanks.

twisting it back onto the car i see because when confronted with the facts you do not like it i see!!

Let's stick to dangerous cyclists.

Why is a cyclist dangerous if they don't look behind or signal to pass a parked vehicle?

Guest sibon
Bassman62, they will never believe you, they are cyclists, the highway code doesn't apply to them remember!!

I'm a motorist. I do own a bike, but I only ride it off road.

I'd prefer it if you didn't try to speak for all motorists. Some of us understand the highway code and are prepared to use the road correctly.

You and Bassman can go and sit in cyclist hating corner if you like. Your lack of understanding has nothing to do with your status as a "motorist", just rank stupidity.

Let's stick to dangerous cyclists.

Why is a cyclist dangerous if they don't look behind or signal to pass a parked vehicle?

Because they will crash into a vehicle if there is one overtaking on the outside.

The vehicle being a car, motorbike or another cycle.

Archived