Dangerous cyclists

Presumably you're incapable of predicting their need to go around the obstruction, hence why you think it's sudden?

Do you think they can fly?

You're telling me that car drivers signal to overtake a parked vehicle? Have you actually seen Sheffield? Nobody would ever turn their indicators off.

What rule do you think is being broken by going around a parked vehicle? Particularly by a cyclist who won't even have to cross into the opposite carriageway?

The one about not signalling your intention before moving out from behind parked cars and car drivers signal to overtake parked car and then stay out if few cars parked whereas cyclists don't signal and weave in and out of gaps between parked cars. Yes I and OH drive in Sheffield and we both signal to overtake parked cars

The one about not signalling your intention before moving out from behind parked cars and car drivers signal to overtake parked car and then stay out if few cars parked whereas cyclists don't signal and weave in and out of gaps between parked cars. Yes I and OH drive in Sheffield and we both signal to overtake parked cars

When I come up behind a cyclist who is approaching a parked vehicle I expect him/her to pull out and pass it. The fact that they are bearing down onto a car and would crash into the back of it if they didn't pull out is more than enough of a signal to me that they are going to pull out. It would be pretty much the same if I were following a car similarly approaching a parked car. (Although it is harder to see past the car, so I might be less sure that the parked car is in fact a parked car, and is not for example about to pull out). But either way it doesn't matter much, because I'm going to hang back until we are past the obstruction. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. Have I got it wrong? Do you do something different?

You mean the one that isn't a legal requirement?

Car drivers do do they? I suggest you head out and stand on the street for a few minutes and reassess that. I doubt that even 1 in 10 cars indicates to pass a parked vehicle unless there's heavy traffic coming the other way.

Given that the bike doesn't signal, what do you expect them to do as a driver approaching them from behind? Do you think they are going to stop, or do you think they are going to go around the obstacle?

There's either a bunch of drivers who have zero road skills here, or you're pretending that it takes you by surprise when a bike goes around an obstacle in order to try to make some obscure point. Which is it?

Weaving in and out serves little purpose. If there is a long space between the parked vehicles and there was opportunity for following vehicles to safely overtake, then a cyclist is being courteous by pulling back into their normal position for that road. However, if the space is shortish, then the cyclist might maintain the overtaking line to protect himself from a risky overtaking manoevre into a rapidly reducing space. If the spaces are only 2 or 3 car lengths or less, then the cyclist should certainly stay out in the overtaking line, unless they want to drop into the space to wait and let the traffic past.

No it wouldn't, car would be allowed to overtake given that the cyclist has neither looked nor signalled his intention to suddenly pull out from behind parked car.

If he/she had looked behind and seen car they should have waited or signalled what they intended to do. Why do cyclists always presume driver can read their mind?

They do it because plonkers on here who belong to the 'Martini Cycling Club' (Anytime, Any Place, Anyhow) tell them they can.

You can join their club on a night when they're not attending the 'Flat Earth Society'.

When I come up behind a cyclist who is approaching a parked vehicle I expect him/her to pull out and pass it. The fact that they are bearing down onto a car and would crash into the back of it if they didn't pull out is more than enough of a signal to me that they are going to pull out. It would be pretty much the same if I were following a car similarly approaching a parked car. (Although it is harder to see past the car, so I might be less sure that the parked car is in fact a parked car, and is not for example about to pull out). But either way it doesn't matter much, because I'm going to hang back until we are past the obstruction. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. Have I got it wrong? Do you do something different?
What an amazing brain you have all that in a split second as well as reading the 'Martini Cyclists' mind.

All say '3 We're not Worthies'

So what sport do you and Tony indulge in with your sports cars?

Squiggs replied

I have an "estate" car so does that mean I must be a landowner?

The way it was posted implied that they're some kind of super drivers because they both Drive Sports Cars.

I know a taxi driver does that make him some kind of super driver as well?

I'm astonished by the crass stupidity of this sentence. Would you expect an articulated lorry to wait until a car has overtaken before pulling out round a parked vehicle? If not, then why would you expect a cyclist to do so?

And you'd expect an articulated lorry to be able to pull up quickly because some cyclist fails to observe the Highway Code.

Hand in your driving license, you're clearly not safe.

Rules that don't apply to Cyclone (Cyclone owns a sports car remember)

Rules for cyclists67

You should

•look all around before moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (see 'Signals to other road users')•look well ahead for obstructions in the road, such as drains, pot-holes and parked vehicles so that you do not have to swerve suddenly to avoid them. Leave plenty of room when passing parked vehicles and watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your path

be aware of traffic coming up behind you•take extra care near road humps, narrowings and other traffic calming features

•take care when overtaking (see Rules 162-169)

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Do you still not get it?

Archived