Dangerous cyclists

Originally Posted by dawny1970

don't be silly, you will never get a straight answer from a cyclist, lots have tried on this thread and failed, even when car drivers give them a straight answer, they don't like it/ignore it/slate cars as evil, take your pick!!

Cyclone replied

You do realise (because we told you earlier) that we are all drivers as well? :hihi:

And don't foreget you drive a sports car.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

look all around before moving away from the kerb

The fallacy here is the presumption that to move round a parked car the cyclist will be riding at the edge of the road in the first place.

The advice in the highway code quoted above is more relevant to setting off. In this context the cyclist is moving from the kerb at a slow speed into the flow of traffic, and will therefore want to hang back until it is safe to do so.

Back to the OP.

I don't see the need for any new legislation. Current laws were able to deal with the recent high profile cases of reckless cycling, and could be expected to do so in future.

In my opinion, the law should apply equally to all road users, ie each road user should be liable if they have contravened laws which applies to them.

Generally, though I do not think we should have laws such as "causing death by **********". We should have a general law called "reckless behaviour", or something similar. This would cover behaviour by anyone which was reckless and which may cause injury to other people. It doesn't matter whether the reckless behaviour is by a cyclist, motorist, pedestrian or whatever. If their reckless behaviour might put others at risk, they could be charged. The punishment would depend on how likely it would be to cause injury, and how serious the injury was likely to be. I think that this method of addressing reckless behaviour would be more grown up and effective in the long term than the current method of turning a blind eye to a lot of reckless behaviour, and then coming down like a ton of bricks when someone is killed. By then it is a bit too late for the victim.

Meanwhile, though, I think the police should clamp down on any reckless behaviour, regardless of who is doing it.

I think I've discovered the source of the confusion. Quite clearly some joker has ripped out most of the pages to Bassman's and Dawny's copies of the Highway Code, leaving only one page left. Hence whenever anyone mentions a driver having to keep to any rule they bring up these rules, which every one else has made clear they agree with.

Guys, had you never considered it would be strange for a numbered list to begin at 59?

yup, coz they a law unto themselves and make no indication as to their intentions, ergo the private members bill to ensure that they respect other road users as they should do!!!

That would make a whole lot of sense, except that your statement above and your attitude is completely opposite to the attitude of the member bringing the bill.

Can someone please explain to me the significance of driving a sports car (or is the answer somewhere in the previous 38 pages, which frankly I haven't time to closely re-examine)?

The significance is that someone on this thread has a substantial chip on their shoulder, and seeing as they have an irrational dislike for a whole group of people just because they use sometimes a two-wheeled vehicle to travel, they are then shocked to discover that some of them also use the same kind of four-wheeled conveyance as they themselves. They then either need a new excuse to continue their inane ravings, or else want an excuse to rail against another group of people for whom they have an irrational hatred.

I, by the way Bassman, drive an Astra. I eagerly await finding out what you think of that.

Can someone please explain to me the significance of driving a sports car (or is the answer somewhere in the previous 38 pages, which frankly I haven't time to closely re-examine)?
because the numpty booasted about how many miles per year he'd driven and that he and another esteemed member also drove A sports car as if that made them more important than other road users on this thread.

The fallacy here is the presumption that to move round a parked car the cyclist will be riding at the edge of the road in the first place.

The advice in the highway code quoted above is more relevant to setting off. In this context the cyclist is moving from the kerb at a slow speed into the flow of traffic, and will therefore want to hang back until it is safe to do so.

Jusr because your attention span doesn't cover the entire piece that was posted I'll post it again, in bold is the section that you've obviously chosen not to read, can't read that much at once, or tried to make a weak point stronger by selectively quoting

•look all around before moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (see 'Signals to other road users')

Now have you managed to read it or was it too much of an effort?

Archived