Dangerous cyclists

Great idea Bassman. How much vehicle excise duty should they pay?

Here are the current rates for motor vehicles to help you to make up your mind.

that for cars, i think a nominal charge of £5 would be fair and and update of the road laws to include cyclists would also be fair, or do you dispute that as well and feel that there are already to many laws?

before you answer, remember that a bike can get up to the legal speed limit of 30 these days no problem

Agrred 101%.

They should also have to take a cycling profficienct test and pay road tax. If they did all three maybe they would be more responsible in their conduct on the public highway, as it is any Tom, Dick or Harriet can get on a bicycle and be let loose on the roads without ever having taken a test let alone read the HighWay Code.

No wonder they don't observe the simplest of commonsense logic if the are ignorant of the rules of the road.

A driving test for motorists doesn't stop the current death toll. Even if a test for cyclists was to be introduced, and it meant that all deaths by cyclist were to be eradicated, the lives saved would be minute in comparison to the deaths caused by motor vehicles. To date, governments have sensibly realised that introducing tests for cyclists is not cost effective. There are better ways to spend the money.

Road Tax? OK. Less than 100 g of CO2, therefore £0 per annum. What would be the point of setting up the beurocracy and the costly system, just to collect £0?

Insurance? Personally I've no problem with this. As an aside, the cost of my cycle insurance is quite small. I can't be bothered to look it up now. I have it to protect me, not other road users. The fact that it is so cheap compared to motor insurance tells us all we need to know about the relative damage caused by cars and cycles. Yet you still continue to concentrate on cycles and cyclists as being the major problem on the roads.

Guest sibon
that for cars, i think a nominal charge of £5 would be fair and and update of the road laws to include cyclists would also be fair, or do you dispute that as well and feel that there are already to many laws?

before you answer, remember that a bike can get up to the legal speed limit of 30 these days no problem

So you want to charge cyclists more tax than car drivers? Strange.

So you want to charge cyclists more tax than car drivers? Strange.

And you're an assistant moderator, doesn't speak well for the credibility of the forum.

Why shouldn't cyclists be road taxed if they use the roads.

are better ways to spend the money.

Road Tax? OK. Less than 100 g of CO2, therefore £0 per annum. What would be the point of setting up the beurocracy and the costly system, just to collect £0?.

That was introduced to make car manufacturers produce more eco friendly vehicles and has nothing to do with cyclists who should pay road tax.

I have zero children at school but I stiil pay tax towards education.

Guest sibon
And you're an assistant moderator, doesn't speak well for the credibility of the forum.

Why shouldn't cyclists be road taxed if they use the roads.

Did you look at the link I posted for you?

How much CO2 per km does a bike produce?

Which duty band does that put a bike into?

Go on Bassman. Answer those questions rather than throwing childish insults around.

Did you look at the link I posted for you?

How much CO2 per km does a bike produce?

Which duty band does that put a bike into?

Go on Bassman. Answer those questions rather than throwing childish insults around.

Read post 788 it is fully explained there. Tax on emissions are for an entirely different reason.

Most laws apply equally to cars and cycles - except for those which specifically differentiate, eg cycles not allowed on motorways, cars not allowed on cycle paths. Speed limits, stop and give way controls, etc, etc apply equally to both.

Archived