Korean veterans

quite a lot of conscripts died in Korea, who didn't sign up voluntarily for the services. One of my dad's classmates died in Suez also, who was just doing his national service in '56.

I'd like to know when (not necessarily who) the last UK conscript was killed. There may have been some in Cyprus, Kenya, and Malaya.

Suez: Total British dead - Oct/Nov 1956 were 16, with 96 wounded. (2 killed were NS soldiers - 8 wounded)

Please read the Latest & Up-to-date Roll of Honour produced by Edwin Sparrow for the Suez Veteran's Association ... HERE

Korea: British casualties were 1,078 killed in action, 2,674 wounded and 1,060 missing or taken prisoner. (Includes 204 NS soldiers killed - Wounded about 300)

Malaya: 104 NS soldiers killed.

From this source, which I imagine is reliable. It doesn't specify in which of these theatres the last conscript was killed; accurate knowledge of when the various incidents were taking place might give you that information.

There doesn't appear to have been a single instance of a serving Army member killed during the Mau Mau uprising. Given that it wasn't actually aimed at killing white people, that's perhaps not quite as surprising as it seems.

Archived