Terraced houses and motorbike access

I ride my bike to work, and would be mortified if I found out I'd been waking people up when I go to work with my bike.

Is he an awkward person? Just go over and ask him politely. I had a friend that lived in a terrace with a narrow "tunnel" between two houses to get access to the back and I used to paddle it forwards whilst sat on the bike with the engine off.

The area where he turns the bike round, is it flat? He may have the engine on so he can move it around easily if it's on a slope. Might be something to bare in mind that he can't turn it round without using the engine.

• 2 months later...
Almost universally, a gennel is pedestrian access, he is in breach of his/your title deeds wherein you grant an easement to him (permission to cross your land to get to his land). Check your title deeds.

Also, the gennel will be contructed to take pedestrian traffic, he will be causing structural damage taking vehicles along it.

No he's (most likely) not. It is pedestrian access. Check your title deeds.

Yes. Almost always the passageway easement is expressly "on foot only".

i am in exactly the same situation as this fella, i am in a terrace of 4 with a passage, i ride a motorcycle to work and i leave for work around 5am. however i don't crack my bike up until i am half way down our road! i freewheel down the passage and down the road a bit because i would be mortified if i found i was disturbing my neighbours. i have a good relationship with all of them and since we have to live in close proximity to each other i would like it to remain as amicable as possible. ask him to do the same i'm sure he will unless it's a really big bike.

ask him to push it!!

On the money, do it in the right way and your problem should be over. Be agressive and you still have to live near the guy when you have wound him up.

Live and let live is what it's all about.

Regards

Angel.

Failing that, you should have a plan on the title deeds that shows where his access (probably only foot) is allowed. You can download this from the land registry.

You will probably find that the right of access splits in two about 1m from the end of the passage. I.e. your neighbours to the left have little/no access to the right hand side. Simply put up a fence post and gate so that he cannot maneuver the bike onto your property.

Archived