Chris De Burgh - Amazing Artist

Lestat

I have often wondered why people slag Chris De Burgh off, his music is really great if you listen to it properly. Obviously 'Lady in red' is his most famous song but other tracks are equally as good and the lyrics to many of his songs are meaningful and sang with passion.

'The last time I cried' is haunting and atmospheric, 'Missing you' is another classic as are 'Tender Hands, A Night on The River, Sailing Away' and just about every other song on his albums.

Having listened to 'Flying Colours' & 'The best of CDB' I think he is a british artist to be proud of not taken the p*ss out of. Why do so many people not like him?? :confused: Theres plenty of other crappy english artists who don't have people hating them.

Chrissie ain't my kinda of thing. Maybe I'll get him to him later. I don't like anything he has done apart from one of fav songs ever... A Spaceman came travelling.

It makes me cry and feel really warm inside.

And I do love the lyrics to that. So therefore I must be agreeing with you in part..

I don't hate him, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.

He sings soppy songs in a soppy voice.

I agree that there are far worse people around though, and it is seen as quite fasionable to dislike him. Most people judge music on what their friends like and what is promoted well in the media, and not on the quality of music.

went to see him at the arena a year or 2 back.

he was the first artist i saw to start @ 8, allow his groups to take a break whilst performing solo for 30 minutes, and then have to be "removed" from the stage @ 11.30 'cos the arena wanted to close.

not really my preferred artist but a fave of the current mrs willman at the time.

Lestat,

Personally I can see no merit in what he does, but I certainly do not hate the man. By the way, he is an Irishman rather than a Briton. He claims to be descended from the Anglo-Norman De Burgh or Burke family who settled in southern Ireland in the 12th century.

Originally posted by Lestat

I have often wondered why people slag Chris De Burgh off, his music is really great if you listen to it properly. Obviously 'Lady in red' is his most famous song but other tracks are equally as good and the lyrics to many of his songs are meaningful and sang with passion.

'The last time I cried' is haunting and atmospheric, 'Missing you' is another classic as are 'Tender Hands, A Night on The River, Sailing Away' and just about every other song on his albums.

Having listened to 'Flying Colours' & 'The best of CDB' I think he is a british artist to be proud of not taken the p*ss out of. Why do so many people not like him?? :confused: Theres plenty of other crappy english artists who don't have people hating them.

never been a fan really but his track--a spaceman came travelling is one of my favourites of all time!:thumbsup:

Amazingly mawkish tat perhaps.

I'm sorry but I do hate the sinner as well as the sin on this one. He is a smug, toadying* gimp with one of the most slappable faces in showbusiness (did he ever show up on that excellent thread?).

That said, Spanish Train is an absolutely brilliant tune. He should have stopped after that.

*Did you ever see the footage of him with his piano out on the tarmac playing Lady in Red at Sarah Ferguson while Richard Branson helps her off a plane? It is burned on my memory for ever. I'm shuddering as I type.

For someone with so much money he always looks realy badly turned-out on TV, his clothes are about 20 years out of fashion (though I doubt they every realy were in fashion) and his hair/eyebrow combo is just horrible.

Sort yourself out mate.

Singing crap songs is one thing, but at least try to look nice while your doing it.

p.s. He looks like that old historian bloke of Most Hysterical/Haunted.

Originally posted by samc

He might look like a geography teacher but he still pulled his young pretty nanny into the bedroom for a bit of hanky panky whilst his wife was sewing on the leather patches to his cardigans.

The old Mrs Merton gag, asking Debbie McGhee

"So what attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

springs to mind here....

Archived