Advice Needed About a Doctors Visit Regarding Possible Diabetes

Guest Wyrd

I've strongly suspected for a few weeks now that I have diabetes, so I've booked myself in to see my doctor - hopefully for some tests, the earliest appointment available being at 3.30pm.

The last time I ate was a nibble of some bran flakes at 2am. So the question is, do I have something to eat at some point or do I go in with an empty stomach? The receptionist was as about as useful as a six pound note.

Another six hours is a very long time to go without any carb intake, and I don't want to have a bad episode - they've been making me very ill lately in the early hours until someone suggested having carbohydrates before bedtime.

Anyone informed out there that could advise me?

Maybe ring NHS direct?

Whatever you do don't trust medical advice you get on some random internet forum!

Or try the surgery again and insist on getting a GP to ring you back. The receptionist will not be able to answer your question but she is the first line of defence before the GPs. Just be friendly but firm.

I've strongly suspected for a few weeks now that I have diabetes, so I've booked myself in to see my doctor - hopefully for some tests, the earliest appointment available being at 3.30pm.

The last time I ate was a nibble of some bran flakes at 2am. So the question is, do I have something to eat at some point or do I go in with an empty stomach? The receptionist was as about as useful as a six pound note.

Another six hours is a very long time to go without any carb intake, and I don't want to have a bad episode - they've been making me very ill lately in the early hours until someone suggested having carbohydrates before bedtime.

I would imagine all you'll be having today is a chat. I'd be surprised if they tested you for it today - it doesn't normally work that way.

In order to get a positive diagnosis, I believe there need to be a number of fasting tests (first thing in a morning before eating) At least that's how it worked for me - and a couple of people I know.

Don't worry TOO much about the carb thing. It's helpful to get a little in at mealtimes because it gives you more energy for longer, but a healthy, sensible balanced diet is usually the way forward with diabetes.

I won't bore you with HBA1c information, but you won't be able to affect your blood sugars over a three month period in the space of a few hours, so have something to eat. No point making yourself feel ill.

The key to diabetes is to regulate your blood sugars as much as possible - and starving yourself then eating is a sure-fire way to get peaks and troughs.

Good luck for later, and try not to worry. :)

Cheers, Stagewalker, you were right. I had a nibble before I went in and he's arranged for some blood tests for next week.

My sister-in-law who is Type 2 had to fast for 8 hours before taking the test.

When she went for the appointment they took a reading on her blood sugar level then afterwards gave the glucose tolerance test. She had to have two readings done each at one hour intervals. Her readings on each occasion were well above normal.

Archived