Life exit services

Would you take advantage of a service that helped you to shuffle off this mortal coil when you felt that your time had come?

If I was suffering from something like incurable cancer, yes, most definitely.

I've had the misfortune of seeing people suffer like this, often dragging on for many months before death.

If we allowed an animal to suffer like this, we'd be prosecuted.

If a dog were in such terrible pain, we'd put it down out of kindness.

Yet we deny this option of release to our fellow human beings.

Every year millions of people die of starvation on this planet yet this produces far less heated feelings than the idea of voluntary euthanasia.

We seem to care more about denying people who want to die that right than we do about the deaths of millions who don't want to die.

there would have to be absolutely no hope left for me and my quality of life would have to or be at risk of seriously dipping and even then i would have to consult my family and take their feelings into account.

i nursed my dad during his last 18 months of his life and he was not the same dad i knew in previous years and i know it killed him a little everytime i had to dress him or help feed him and it hurt me too as i knew my dad was a strong and proud man who had always said he wouldnt want that, my dad needed help with everything, i would hate to think my family would have to go through the same as i did no matter how much they wanted to or loved me enough to do it, its soul destroying i loved my dad and i did help because i loved him and the decision to bring him home and care fort him there ourselves wasnt mine alone.

I thought of this earlier myself after reading an article where Leslie Phillips wife has allegedly drunk 'acid' as she was overawed from the pain of her cancer. For anyone to consider doing such a thing means that they must have been very desperate. It is very sad that a viable option isn’t available to people, but I can also see why it isn’t.

Due to an existing medical condition I will never face this ‘dilemma’ but I really do feel for people affected by it, and the people linked to that decision.

Archived