Mechanics question

hi im after a apprenticeship in motor vehicle and have been called today by a agency, they say they have a vacancy for a auto electrician. what does this job consist of and what would you be doing day to day.

i originally wanted to do a technician apprenticeship, is this the same, thanks :help:

An auto electrician is quite a sophisticated and technical job!

Becoming familiar with a vehicle's electrical system is quite a challenging role, and as vehicle's become more electrically dependent that role will increase in it's importance. I personally think it's the way forward as in 10 years time I'm not sure how much dependence we'll have on the good old combustion engine. As fuel prices are becoming more expensive other options will be sought and even fuel cell technology will be very dependent on electric power.

I would definitely look at it as this could be a future proof career.

Becoming familiar with a vehicle's electrical system is quite a challenging role, and as vehicle's become more electrically dependent that role will increase in it's importance. I personally think it's the way forward as in 10 years time I'm not sure how much dependence we'll have on the good old combustion engine. As fuel prices are becoming more expensive other options will be sought and even fuel cell technology will be very dependent on electric power.

thanks for that, i had in my head that a auto electrician was only for audio and other small things, but engine work, that sounds superb, thanks a lot.:)

All very true.

An auto electrician can of course deal with the simple things like fitting stereos or dealing qwith lighting issues, but more often he will be called in when the other mechanics are scratching their heads over a problem with the car's charging system, or an engine sensor, or a problem with the ignition or fuel injection which is becoming increasingly complex on modern systems.

If you have the chance to go the route of an auto electrician rather than mechanic, I'd advise you to jump at it.

incoming years general auto electrician will not exist as car electronic management will be so complicated unless you are train with one make of car and had all equitment or you will not manage it expect the easy jobs, why dont you train as a gas fitter £500+ a day if you charge what some cowboys do, or pay £3-4000 driving instructor and earn £20+ an hour

Archived