The Howard - near the train station

Cheers Depoix....does anyone know when the place was built?

Taking the number of the Howard as 57,

later than this ..

Kelly's directory 1854

Howard Street.

43 Robert Colbridge. 'Cossack'

51 Charles Boler, Baker.

57 Samuel Mettam, horn merchant & presser (Howard horn works).

59 Frederick Cooper, Chemist & Druggist.

White's directory 1857

Howard Street.

51 Charles Boler, Baker.

57 Samuel Mettam, horn merchant & presser.

59 Peter Ward, Chemist & Druggist.

m&p

The Howard Hotel appears in the 1871 census, with George Rothwell as licensee (though the address is given as Pond Street). I can't find either the hotel or No 57 Howard Street in the 1861 census, and so I imagine the hotel opened between 1861 and 1871.

Edited by hillsbro
Speling...

The Howard Hotel appears in the 1871 census, with Gerge Rothwell as licensee (though the address is given as Pond Street). I can't find either the hotel or No 57 Howard Street in the 1861 census, and so I imagine the hotel opened between 1861 and 1871.

I never thought about it, but it has to be around that age.

• 4 years later...

I am impressed that it has now got a facelift on the outside back to its mock tudor ... but I was dismayed when I went there last night and had to knock down my pint quick and run out of the place !

Two or more "DJs" were "playing hits" but were actually systematically trying to annihilate their customers remaining hearing ! Four large speakers on stands pointed into the little seating area and the likes of Bruce Springsteen and other 80s hits played at ear-splitting volume , its a wonder that it even contained the volume of customers it did and sad that they were not aware of the insidious damage being done to their hearing or maybe they were already half-deaf like I am sure the DJs must have been .. looking to be about in their 50s ... not only was it loud but the frequency adjust acoustics was horrible giving accent to the toe curling high frequencies !! I will never be caught out going in there on a Friday again while those guys are "playing" !! Someone should tell them !

I am impressed that it has now got a facelift on the outside back to its mock tudor ... but I was dismayed when I went there last night and had to knock down my pint quick and run out of the place !

Two or more "DJs" were "playing hits" but were actually systematically trying to annihilate their customers remaining hearing ! Four large speakers on stands pointed into the little seating area and the likes of Bruce Springsteen and other 80s hits played at ear-splitting volume , its a wonder that it even contained the volume of customers it did and sad that they were not aware of the insidious damage being done to their hearing or maybe they were already half-deaf like I am sure the DJs must have been .. looking to be about in their 50s ... not only was it loud but the frequency adjust acoustics was horrible giving accent to the toe curling high frequencies !! I will never be caught out going in there on a Friday again while those guys are "playing" !! Someone should tell them !

the Howards had DJ's on for a fair few years now, Dance music (or rave if your prefer) Djs at nights i believe

Some young people might tell you that if it is too loud, you are too old LOL