Not at all voters - why don't you vote?

We are currently being assaulted by nine or ten republican candidates having televized debates about who is he best candidate for President of The United States to replace Obama for an election that is a year away. They range from the merely ridiculous to the clearly idiotic, and not one of them is as ugly as Abraham Lincoln, the best republican ever born. Says something about the times we live in.

And lawyers take action against unions for restrictive practices

No, they don't. Their clients do, sometimes; and Trade Unions, as other solicitors' clients, defend such proceedings.

despite the Law society being one of the most restrictive associations in the country

No, it's not. It is itself effectively a Trade Union, shorn of its erstwhile function of Professional Regulation carved-off to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

When asking for conveyancing quotes bthey are ridiculously similar which means either perfect competion or restrictive practices in the form of informal collusion.

Neither, in fact. Most firms of solicitors- not all, I fear- will provide a quotation:

a. without asking what other firms have quoted; and

b. without trying to undercut other firms. In life, you get what you pay for. Cheap usually means inadequate.

And nor are their fee quotations at a fixed % of the price, unlike reprehensible Estate Agents' fees!

We are currently being assaulted by nine or ten republican candidates having televized debates about who is he best candidate for President of The United States to replace Obama for an election that is a year away. They range from the merely ridiculous to the clearly idiotic, and not one of them is as ugly as Abraham Lincoln, the best republican ever born. Says something about the times we live in.

You (in USA) are currently being assaulted so; we (in UK) aren't, thank goodness.

The old 'if you don't vote, you don't have a say' cobblers is playing right into the hands of the politicians who have set up this near-unassailable system. The vast majority of people vote against a party rather than for one.

The system is anti-democratic. A party 'winning' an election will be in for 4 years (should, of course, be 5 but they invariably 'cut and run' after they have given us a few morsels off their table). Four years is nowhere near long enough to impose any meaningful changes to the mess the previous lot left, but nobody in their right minds would want any of this idiot rabble (i.e. all politicians) in for longer than four years.

So what do the politicians do in their four years? Nothing significant as they want to remain seemingly 'popular' and therefore re-electable. So at present we have the Tories doing next to nothing to cut public sector waste, because they don't want to be seen as 'nasty'. Their inaction gives them a better shot at doing the only thing they all want to do - get in power, stay in power and hoover up as much cash as they can before moving on to the next cushy number.

People on this thread seem to confuse Ken Livingstone as a bumbling, happy-go-lucky bloke who somehow got into power. So this champion of congestion charges seems not to be bothered about his own individual congestion - five kids from three different women. Bloody hypocrites, the lot of 'em.

Try to watch Panorama tonight. It's about politicians (in particular, Labour) using PFI schemes to cook the books and, by the time it has been discovered and the true cost is known they've moved on to pastures new.

I may consider voting if Parliamentary Priviledge was abolished - whereby politicians can currently wreak untold harm on our country and finances and get away with it.

I may consider voting if Parliamentary Priviledge was abolished - whereby politicians can currently wreak untold harm on our country and finances and get away with it.

what's wreaking untold harm on our country and finances got to do with Parliamentary Priviledge?

The old 'if you don't vote, you don't have a say' cobblers ???

Not cobblers at all. Just mindless people saying "They,re all the same, They should do something about it." Yes. Think, and vote for what you believe. Too many just spout what the papers tell them. It must be true, it,s in the Sun. Ha.

The old 'if you don't vote, you don't have a say' cobblers ???

Not cobblers at all. Just mindless people saying "They,re all the same, They should do something about it." Yes. Think, and vote for what you believe. Too many just spout what the papers tell them. It must be true, it,s in the Sun. Ha.

And by the same token, I don't have a TV because I believe that pretty much everything shown on it is rubbish. But by your logic I can't believe everything on it is rubbish because I don't spend my life watching it

Archived