The "Wedding". Is anybody actually interested ?

There is a nice irony in asking an American if we should keep our Monarch.

No irony at all. The question was " Are royal residences that are lived in by a royal family a bigger draw to tourists than royal residences that are merely empty buildings?"

I would say yes. I recently visited Seattle where Jimi Hendrix is buried. Apparently his current grave attracts thousands of visitors. The one where his body used to be attracts only folk using obsolete maps.:D

What would be accomplished by doing away with the monarchy? There might have been a reason centuries ago but hardly so today.

Ah. Bang on time to answer the tourist question.

Are royal residences that are lived in by a royal family a bigger draw to tourists than royal residences that are merely empty buildings?

I recently visited Seattle where Jimi Hendrix is buried. Apparently his current grave attracts thousands of visitors. The one where his body used to be attracts only folk using obsolete maps.:D

Tourism isn't a defence of monarchy. At most it is an interesting aside. If it is a defence then it is a defence for other things. Russia should have Communism back because people like visiting Lenin's body, Poland should gas jews because people visit Auschwitz.

The only defence for monarchy should be "it is the best system of government that we have", and it isn't.

No irony at all. The question was " Are royal residences that are lived in by a royal family a bigger draw to tourists than royal residences that are merely empty buildings?"

I would say yes. I recently visited Seattle where Jimi Hendrix is buried. Apparently his current grave attracts thousands of visitors. The one where his body used to be attracts only folk using obsolete maps.:D

I agree with you, but I don't think the example is necessarily a good one. This seems to be implying that we could kill the royal family without harming our tourist industry, as long as we bury them at Buckingham Palace.

Well tuition fees have to be paid by someone. The alternatives would appear to be..

1 The students who are benefitting from the tuition

2 The rest of the population who aren't.

Or..the government don't have to cut public services making everyone poor and in massive debt the rest of their lives.

Anyway, the royals are well equipped to pay for there own wedding!

Archived