Should the term 'white trash' now be considered racist?

I've never heard a taxi driver use the term to describe a resident of Lowedges. I think you are trolling.

To answer your question: Yes, the term "white trash" is racist.

What motivated you to ask such a strange question?

Maybe someone refered to them recently as being 'white trash'??? They'll be having cabbies shouting 'honkey' at them next!

The term White Trash isn't used lightly in the US, if you call someone that they usually deserve it .

I've heard 'trailer trash' used often in American films but that seems to have social connotations rather than just race.

It's usually white people that use the term White trash isn't it ?

Actually poppins, here in California, lower income non-white folks often refer to their white neighbors as blanco basura. Which means white trash in spanish. Not exactly, but close enough. It's been around for awhile, too. I remember it when I was a kid. You can only call another kid at school a derogatory name in another language before they eventually figure out what it means. :hihi:

Some folks embrace their white trashiness! Dolly Parton has referred to herself and her family as po' white trash, and the series of White Trash Cookbooks sell really well. Nope, they're not a joke. :D

I don't think it's racist, as there isn't a race of 'white trash' people. It is more a derogatory term to describe white people with little money. Poor white people if you will. Afterall, the term isn't used to describe all white people.

Archived