Should the term 'white trash' now be considered racist?

I don't need to be a taxi driver to interact with them. I think that my post was pretty unambiguous, did you have trouble understanding it?

Your question is very odd. Provocative really. Some might think deliberately so. Especially if they glance at your posting history.

Are odd questions disallowed? Provocative questions?

Deliberately provocative questions?

Guest sibon
Are odd questions disallowed? Provocative questions?

Deliberately provocative questions?

I've no problem with odd questions, or provocative ones. I use them both in my posts, as you know from past experience. I was trying to uncover the OPs motives for starting the thread.

He seems a little coy though:)

I'm not sure about this one, whities seem immune to racism, except for the religious or gay folk who understandably are offended by most ism's, on the whole they seem to be tough skinned and haven't felt discriminated against until fairly recently, nor had years of persecution because of their skin colour, but if we are to strive for a more equal and fair 'big society' and help them feel more welcome in the UK, then does terminology like 'white trash' now need to be considered racist?

I'm white and i think I'm immune to racist comment's. I have been called white bitch white slag etc... From a couple of Asian boy's for not agreeing to do things that i will not say so i think that makes me opposite to what they are trying to call me :loopy: But if your trash your trash and if your white and trash your gunner get called white trash. But i haven't heard anyone say it before.

"If we are to strive for a more equal and fair 'big society'", then people wouldn't use the term 'white trash'.

If you are saying that because certain sections of society have experienced degrading treatment by others in the past, then the tables can be turned, ergo equality. That would be a travesty of the word equality.

BTW, you're use of the word 'whitey', is pejorative. I think you know that already.

Well I could be wrong but I doubt it, recent demographics suggest they're and feel victimised in favour of other 'more higher ranking cultures with their more respectful values, either that or “whites” are now becoming more sensitive and feel nobody is addressing all their demanding needs, I apologise if I've offended you but in what way is whitey a now perjorative? How is it any different to “Limey, Pompey” or Sikhy?

This forum has gone to the dogs, its a proper bore now. ill leave you all with the simple notion that there is good and bad in everybody regardless of colour and creed. Lets all just get on with it EH??

But if you really are a real genuine proud right winger then most would presume you'd be anti all this so called 'silly racial terminology' and do gooding 'interfering lefties' telling us all waht's offensive.

That's part of the issue, not everyone conforms to these stereotypes, thankfully - lots of right wingers hate racism & lots of lefties hate "do gooding". Similarly lots wouldn't use white trash to describe someone who lives on Lowedges -

I think lots of people feel they are being marginalised, some people have seen there standard of living drop & area go down the pan and wrongly blame people from different backgrounds. Part of that is to do with one group played off against another.

That's part of the issue, not everyone conforms to these stereotypes, thankfully - lots of right wingers hate racism & lots of lefties hate "do gooding". Similarly lots wouldn't use white trash to describe someone who lives on Lowedges -

I think lots of people feel they are being marginalised, some people have seen there standard of living drop & area go down the pan and wrongly blame people from different backgrounds. Part of that is to do with one group played off against another.

It's a term common amongst taxi drivers and other workers who deal with the public to describe some folk on estates like Lowedges, not exclusively.

But yes you're right, Sheffield in particular is a very racist city and does not welcome anything even remotely foreign, hence why other established cities like Leeds are far more prosperous than Sheffield could ever be.

Archived