Cameron's immigration speech

immigration, what would you want?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. immigration, what would you want?

• as it is now
    • 1980's level, tens of thousands
    • no immigration at all for ten years
    • only a very limited very selective policy

How about training UK nationals to do UK jobs? might be a start. Why do we have to 'outsource'?

It would be great if we could, but many of the low pay ancillary jobs in hospitals and caring are jobs our own are not keen to do.

We have had enough immigration to last us 100 years. Why? Quick votes, cheap labour, cultural Marxism? Some immigration is good. But mass unchecked immigration only benefits the rich. It destroys the life chances of the every day individual.

I can't believe I'm sitting in a pub in York on my day off in the sunshine, positive evidence of immigrants and immigration all around me, arguing about it on here.

For the umpteenth time..we don't have a system of 'mass, unchecked immigration', knobhead.

There were reports a while ago of people building accommodation at the bottom of their gardens in London to rent out to illegal immigrants.

Serious questions need to be asked as to why these buildings were allowed to be built and continue to stand without planning permission.

Why were illegal immigrants allowed to stay free.

Where did the illegal immigrants get the money to pay the rents.

There were reports a while ago of people building accommodation at the bottom of their gardens in London to rent out to illegal immigrants.

Serious questions need to be asked as to why these buildings were allowed to be built and continue to stand without planning permission.

Why were illegal immigrants allowed to stay free.

Where did the illegal immigrants get the money to pay the rents.

Would it be too much to ask for a link, perchance?

It would be great if we could, but many of the low pay ancillary jobs in hospitals and caring are jobs our own are not keen to do.

When I was young I had to do jobs I didn't want to do because my father would not let me idle my life away at home.

When I was young I had to do jobs I didn't want to do because my father would not let me idle my life away at home.

...and good for you, likewise it was the same for me, but in my dotage I'd rather have someone changing my catheter who's well motivated towards the work, not some imbecile whose been compelled to do it.

That wasn't quite the spin you were wanting to put on the discussion though is it? The overwhelming number of immigrants to the UK are skilled and/or provide skills that we're short of, having passed through the points based check system.

It's been said before but worth saying again, just as an example-there are a significant number of foreign students in the UK, 350,000 pa. They pay full tuition fees, which brings in revenue of £6.5 BILLION pa, not including their spend on accommodation, food, leisure etc.

If what you are saying is true (I'd suggest not entriely), that there is a skills shortage or gap, then we already have a ready made 'pool' of workers here called the 'unemployed'. All we need is to provide these people with the training to fill the gaps.

While we are experiencing mass immigration to this country how can we ever hope to fill these 'gaps'.

The reason Australia has to do this is because only 20 million people live in Australia. There workforce is much smaller and decentralised.

We have no such excuse, there really is no excuse for mass immigration.

...and good for you, likewise it was the same for me, but in my dotage I'd rather have someone changing my catheter who's well motivated towards the work, not some imbecile whose been compelled to do it.

I think one problem nowadays is that too many jobs require paper qualifications.

On the other hand why are we importing professional workers when we are educating our own young people to degree standard yet not enough of them in the skilled areas where this country has a shortage ?

I can't believe I'm sitting in a pub in York on my day off in the sunshine, positive evidence of immigrants and immigration all around me, arguing about it on here.

For the umpteenth time..we don't have a system of 'mass, unchecked immigration', knobhead.

Your reaction shows why this debate has been made impossible. After your day out pop down to the local dole office and watch some of the million youth sign on. Wake up. Half of black 18 to 24 year olds are unemployed. Millions of immigrants over the last decade have come to the uk. This has destroyed the life chances of at least a million British kids.

Archived