Cameron's immigration speech

immigration, what would you want?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. immigration, what would you want?

• as it is now
    • 1980's level, tens of thousands
    • no immigration at all for ten years
    • only a very limited very selective policy

You obviously fall short of 60 wildcat. Can you explain why all those eastern europeans who have gone home can still claim British benefits back in their homeland? Do you think that is fair on the British taxpayer?

They can probably claim for 6 months until they become vested in their own system.

Then again, when they first came to the UK they were disbarred from claiming for 6 months and were instead required to claim from their own government.

Was that fair to the taxpayers in their country of origin?

it was a nice speech and all, but he didn't actually say they're going to really do anything. said what he might want to see, ie-tens of thousands, but nothing on what or how he's going to do.

for a week or so we'll forget about cuts, war, the NHS debacle...

It was just pre-election posturing.

I note that although Milli Young Un tried to score political points from it, he wasn't exactly forthcoming about what Labour's immigration policies would be.

At least he's consistent. :hihi:

I knew what the immigration policies were under Labour and I know what they're going to be under Mr Forehead. If you thought things were bad under Labour you haven't seen nothing yet.

I welcome what Cameron has said re reducing net immigration to the tens of thousands rather than the hundreds of thousands. However I agree this is pre-election rhetoric and I will believe it when I see it reflected in official ONS data in the years to come.

I heard Nigel Farage on the radio yesterday, he said shortly EU migrants will be able to claim UK benefits as soon as they arrive, that's on top of using our health care system etc which could lead to another flood of migrants from Eastern Europe. I remain adamant that the only way we will ever be able to control immigration to our own advantage and for our own purposes will be if we either renegotiate the 'free movement of people' thing with the EU, or failing that, lets have a referendum on EU membership and let the people decide if we still want to be part of it.

I welcome what Cameron has said re reducing net immigration to the tens of thousands rather than the hundreds of thousands. However I agree this is pre-election rhetoric and I will believe it when I see it reflected in official ONS data in the years to come.

I heard Nigel Farage on the radio yesterday, he said shortly EU migrants will be able to claim UK benefits as soon as they arrive, that's on top of using our health care system etc which could lead to another flood of migrants from Eastern Europe. I remain adamant that the only way we will ever be able to control immigration to our own advantage and for our own purposes will be if we either renegotiate the 'free movement of people' thing with the EU, or failing that, lets have a referendum on EU membership and let the people decide if we still want to be part of it.

The only way to control immigration is to up the number of staff because migrants will just come to the UK illegally if they are unable to do so through legal channels. The truth is is that UKBA staffing numbers are being cut so things are only going to get worse. Then of course the government would have to deal with numerous court cases from migrants who have legitimate expectations and having seen numerous appeal determinations the government doesn't stand a chance.

The only way to control immigration is to up the number of staff because migrants will just come to the UK illegally if they are unable to do so through legal channels. The truth is is that UKBA staffing numbers are being cut so things are only going to get worse. Then of course the government would have to deal with numerous court cases from migrants who have legitimate expectations and having seen numerous appeal determinations the government doesn't stand a chance.

OK now who is scaremongering? Apparently there is no problem with immigration, but then as soon as we put stricter controls on it we'll be hit with floods of illegals?

I agree, up the resources dedicated to border and immigration control if it achieves a more robust system.

As for the court cases, that's partly due to our own system that needs reform, and partly due to our subordination to the ECHR, which wouldn't be a problem if we left the EU or at least had our own bill of rights/written constituation.

OK now who is scaremongering? Apparently there is no problem with immigration, but then as soon as we put stricter controls on it we'll be hit with floods of illegals?

I agree, up the resources dedicated to border and immigration control if it achieves a more robust system.

As for the court cases, that's partly due to our own system that needs reform, and partly due to our subordination to the ECHR, which wouldn't be a problem if we left the EU or at least had our own bill of rights/written constituation.

So you think I'm lying?

So you think I'm lying?

I think it's scaremongering. We better not put tighter controls on immigration because if we do we'll have a flood of illegals on our hands. The fact is illegals are already here and continue to arrive and be here under existing arrangements. If there is evidence that tightening immigration controls would result in an absolute rise (not just relative) in illegals I'd like to see it.

Archived