Cameron's immigration speech

immigration, what would you want?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. immigration, what would you want?

• as it is now
    • 1980's level, tens of thousands
    • no immigration at all for ten years
    • only a very limited very selective policy

I think it's scaremongering. We better not put tighter controls on immigration because if we do we'll have a flood of illegals on our hands.

That's not how I read it.

I read it as saying a single "blanket ban" would not work without an increase in border patrol staff.

That's not how I read it.

I read it as saying a single "blanket ban" would not work without an increase in border patrol staff.

A blanket ban would never work in any realm of reality. If, theoretically, a blanket ban on migration was introduced, then I would agree there would be an inevitable rise in illegals. If that is what Mecky was referring to then I conceed to Mecky on that.

Looking at the votes, there's no surprise that 56 of the 66 who have so far voted want either no immigration at all, or drastic reductions.

What does amaze me, is that 7 people want to keep the floodgates open. Why?

The serious concern is the fact that settlement can be gained in as little as 2 years in some circumstances which is down from 5 and I think 5 years was too short in the first place.

I can see a lot of slush funding happening where people achieve leave in the UK through the new entrepreneurship scheme, where the money will be paid back as soon as leave is granted, and/or the people who set up these businesses will bring in foreign nationals to work in their businesses under the old work permit scheme.

Looking at the votes, there's no surprise that 56 of the 66 who have so far voted want either no immigration at all, or drastic reductions.

What does amaze me, is that 7 people want to keep the floodgates open. Why?

You're right it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that people on this site are voting for a halt ... considering the numerous posts over the years.

A blanket ban would never work in any realm of reality. If, theoretically, a blanket ban on migration was introduced, then I would agree there would be an inevitable rise in illegals. If that is what Mecky was referring to then I conceed to Mecky on that.

I think perception is an important factor here. A blanket ban would send a clear message out to those thinking of migrating to another country that the UK is off limits. Conversely, the current perception abroad appears to be that all you have to do is to get to the UK and then. by various means, you can stay for good and gain access to benefits undreamed of 'at home'. Of course, we will never reduce inward migration to absolute zero, nor should we, but in my view a blanket ban at the present time is the only method of sharply reducing the insane levels of migration experienced since 1997. The current policy has so many exceptions to it that it will prove to be virtually useless as a means of sharply reducing migration levels.

You're right it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that people on this site are voting for a halt ... considering the numerous posts over the years.
The question was why would anybody want the floodgates left open.

I think perception is an important factor here. A blanket ban would send a clear message out to those thinking of migrating to another country that the UK is off limits. Conversely, the current perception abroad appears to be that all you have to do is to get to the UK and then. by various means, you can stay for good and gain access to benefits undreamed of 'at home'. Of course, we will never reduce inward migration to absolute zero, nor should we, but in my view a blanket ban at the present time is the only method of sharply reducing the insane levels of migration experienced since 1997. The current policy has so many exceptions to it that it will prove to be virtually useless as a means of sharply reducing migration levels.
I'm going to go and brew a fresh cup of tea now, in celebration of the discovery of some common sense on SF.

would a change in the system, as they've already done, and a reduction be 'better'?

would a blanket ban include large companies-banks, car manufacturers etc-or even the local 'Indian or Chinese'? how would that affect trade etc?

Archived