Volunteer health care positions??

hi all im wanting to do an health science access course hoping to follow onto nursing or midwifery courses at uni, i had my interview for my access course monday just gone and have been advised that i need to start some sort of voluntary work experience in a care health environment. I need to start this before the end of may so i can provide proof to the course tutor I have undertaken his advice. I have rang all the hospitals who are not taking anyone else on until september, which will be too late:confused:

I have now started to ring care homes for any positions for just a few hours a week. Ive used the website do-it etc, but it is important that I get started and provide proof of this before the end of may....does anyone have any ideas of who else to call, or are there any managers of such places on here who are willing to help? SHEFFIELD/ROTHERHAM ONLY

Last of all im hoping a care home, elderly, mental health or childrens position will be enough to get my place on this course......any advice welcome:D

hi all im wanting to do an health science access course hoping to follow onto nursing or midwifery courses at uni, i had my interview for my access course monday just gone and have been advised that i need to start some sort of voluntary work experience in a care health environment. I need to start this before the end of may so i can provide proof to the course tutor I have undertaken his advice. I have rang all the hospitals who are not taking anyone else on until september, which will be too late:confused:

I have now started to ring care homes for any positions for just a few hours a week. Ive used the website do-it etc, but it is important that I get started and provide proof of this before the end of may....does anyone have any ideas of who else to call, or are there any managers of such places on here who is willing to help?

Last of all im hoping a care home, elderly, mental health or childrens position will be enough to get my place on this course......any advice welcome:D

Have you tried any of the charities? St Lukes etc?

Are you crb checked? if not this may hinder what people can offer you.

Have you tried any of the charities? St Lukes etc?

Are you crb checked? if not this may hinder what people can offer you.

No i haven't tried any charity's. what do st lukes do?

Also no crb check in place, this is another thing i'm coming up against,I have been told most hospital positions will need this, but they don't set on until september anyway now.

I feel stuck and if i dont do this and provide proof by end of may, I lose any chance of getting on my access course. I got a letter today saying they cannot offer me a place at this time as I they dont feel I have enough insight into my chosen higher education course, and that if I can get in touch before the end of may with proof that i have undertaken the advice given at the interview then they will reconsider the decision:confused:

As all hospitals took on in feb and now not again until sept, and as most place need a crb check, they are not giving me a fair chance to do this.

No i haven't tried any charity's. what do st lukes do?

Also no crb check in place, this is another thing i'm coming up against,I have been told most hospital positions will need this, but they don't set on until september anyway now.

I feel stuck and if i dont do this and provide proof by end of may, I lose any chance of getting on my access course. I got a letter today saying they cannot offer me a place at this time as I they dont feel I have enough insight into my chosen higher education course, and that if I can get in touch before the end of may with proof that i have undertaken the advice given at the interview then they will reconsider the decision:confused:

As all hospitals took on my feb and now not again until sept, and as most place need a crb check, they are not giving me a fair chance to do this.

Is this a new requirement for your course? ie can you appeal about the late notice of having to get a placement?

I do know that most courses do want you to display an enthusiasm / commitment for the type work you are applying for eg for teacher traiing it is expected that you will have dome some work with children which makes sense really.

But if you can argue you did not know that was an actual requirement for the course advertised..............

Is this a new requirement for your course? ie can you appeal about the late notice of having to get a placement?

I do know that most courses do want you to display an enthusiasm / commitment for the type work you are applying for eg for teacher traiing it is expected that you will have dome some work with children which makes sense really.

But if you can argue you did not know that was an actual requirement for the course advertised..............

Well this is what doesn't make any sense to me, I knew from speaking to my careers advisor that along with this access course id would be advisable to do some voluntary work alongside it, which im perfectly willing to do. Then at the interview monday he told a group of us that we need to start looking for some sort of work experience now before the course starts september as if we get on the course we would be filling out our applications for our uni courses in october so it would to be our advantage to be able to add that were doing some sort of work to that form to give us a better chance of getting a uni place....for next year, and that providing we pass this science course:confused:

then we had our one to one interview to which he advised me again to start looking for some work experience between now and october........and also it would take them two weeks to decide on who gets place and what not.

Then two days later i get this letter, saying they cant offer me a place because I dont have this insight as they put it and just to provide proof that ive basically unertaken advice given then they may reconsider/

From what i know this is not a official requirment of the course like its a must to have a c or above in english language...im confused as to why they are telling people they cant offer them a place unless they do this, as its just advisable to do it while doing the actual course?

lol sorry did you get all that:hihi:

Ive sent the course tutor a long email asking him to explain all this me? as it confusing, it isnt advertised as a requirment to get on the course but is advised you do work experience as well as the course, yet im told i cant have a place unless i can do this before may

Have you tried St Luke's or somewhere like that?

Does it HAVE to be in a care home, or just voluntary? Sheffield Mencap and Gateway are always after volunteers at their centre in Norfolk Park too - but that's more of a centre, not a care home.....

Have you tried St Luke's or somewhere like that?

Does it HAVE to be in a care home, or just voluntary? Sheffield Mencap and Gateway are always after volunteers at their centre in Norfolk Park too - but that's more of a centre, not a care home.....

hey hun:D

I will ring every place anyone can advice me of, its needs to be within an area seen relevant to the uni course i want to do. But all hospitals wont take any on until later this year, so im stuck really yo care homes and that sort of thing i think.. I need to really be working hands on in a caring position or maybe shadowing someone?

Archived