Volunteer health care positions??

Well this is what doesn't make any sense to me, I knew from speaking to my careers advisor that along with this access course id would be advisable to do some voluntary work alongside it, which im perfectly willing to do. Then at the interview monday he told a group of us that we need to start looking for some sort of work experience now before the course starts september as if we get on the course we would be filling out our applications for our uni courses in october so it would to be our advantage to be able to add that were doing some sort of work to that form to give us a better chance of getting a uni place....for next year, and that providing we pass this science course:confused:

then we had our one to one interview to which he advised me again to start looking for some work experience between now and october........and also it would take them two weeks to decide on who gets place and what not.

Then two days later i get this letter, saying they ant offer me a place because I dont have this insight as they put it and just to provide proof that ive basically unertaken advice given then they may reconsider/

From what i know this is not a official requirment of the course like its a must to have a c or above in english language...im confused as to why they are telling people they cant offer them a place unless they do this, as its just advisable to do it while doing the actual course?

lol sorry did you get all that:hihi:

I did get it LOL .

It seems as though while it wasn't an absolute requirement for the course - but other applicants had perhaps got more expereince than you now in that field.

Or - concious of tuition fees etc - the college are giving you the "opportunity" to make sure this career path is really the one you want to go on - hence suggesting to see it first hand..which may be sensible advice I guess.

Would it be dreadful to volunteer this year -and start the access course next Sept?

Or could you have another go at persuading them now that you are commited and do understand what is involved?

Well this is what doesn't make any sense to me, I knew from speaking to my careers advisor that along with this access course id would be advisable to do some voluntary work alongside it, which im perfectly willing to do. Then at the interview monday he told a group of us that we need to start looking for some sort of work experience now before the course starts september as if we get on the course we would be filling out our applications for our uni courses in october so it would to be our advantage to be able to add that were doing some sort of work to that form to give us a better chance of getting a uni place....for next year, and that providing we pass this science course:confused:

then we had our one to one interview to which he advised me again to start looking for some work experience between now and october........and also it would take them two weeks to decide on who gets place and what not.

Then two days later i get this letter, saying they cant offer me a place because I dont have this insight as they put it and just to provide proof that ive basically unertaken advice given then they may reconsider/

From what i know this is not a official requirment of the course like its a must to have a c or above in english language...im confused as to why they are telling people they cant offer them a place unless they do this, as its just advisable to do it while doing the actual course?

lol sorry did you get all that:hihi:

I read the bit in your post that I put into bold to mean that you need to look now for work experience to start in September which would make sense if as you say in another post that hospitals take on volunteers in Feb and September. So is there anywhere that will say in writing they will take you on in September? That should then prove that you have taken the advice you were offered in the interview.

I did get it LOL .

It seems as though while it wasn't an absolute requirement for the course - but other applicants had perhaps got more expereince than you now in that field.

Or - concious of tuition fees etc - the college are giving you the "opportunity" to make sure this career path is really the one you want to go on - hence suggesting to see it first hand..which may be sensible advice I guess.

Would it be dreadful to volunteer this year -and start the access course next Sept?

Or could you have another go at persuading them now that you are commited and do understand what is involved?

good:hihi: I spoke to a few people on monday sat in the same classrooms, and out of lets say 16 there only 5 had some caring experience, the others didnt, so im wondering if this letter was sent to all that didnt, or if ive been picked out for some reason?......some didnt have children as i do, my careers advisor told me even having life experience and bringing up and caring for your own kids was an advantage....plus this is adult access to higher educations course for mature students who dont have 5 gcses or above.

To be honest I am also wondering if they are trying to whittle us all right down to save on fees?

It wouldnt be dreadful no but I am 30 this year and need to get going:hihi:

also in a way i feel like saying why should I have to lose out on a year because of something I was told id need to do while doing the course?:(

As for the persuading part, my email should have done all that, its was a long one, very polite, but stating how commited I am to this and how much it means to me. how ive researched it all for a few years now and have plenty of insight into what i need to do to get to uni next year, and that I haven't taken it lightly....how im willing to do voluntary work as they suggested etc.....

I can have it reconsidered as long as I get on something before may and provide proof of this....im kind of angry to be honest, as we were told monday to start looking yet got a letter right after saying this

There's a website for volunteers in Sheffield too:

http://www.sheffieldvolunteercentre.org.uk/

There's a page that has current vacancies - some of them are befriending vacancies, or going to visit people in their homes, that kind of thing. Not exactly a care home - but caring all the same :D

Thanks hun, ill bookmark it:hihi:

good:hihi: I spoke to a few people on monday sat in the same classrooms, and out of lets say 16 there only 5 had some caring experience, the others didnt, so im wondering if this letter was sent to all that didnt, or if ive been picked out for some reason?......some didnt have children as i do, my careers advisor told me even having life experience and bringing up and caring for your own kids was an advantage....plus this is adult access to higher educations course for mature students who dont have 5 gcses or above.

To be honest I am also wondering if they are trying to whittle us all right down to save on fees?

It wouldnt be dreadful no but I am 30 this year and need to get going:hihi:

also in a way i feel like saying why should I have to lose out on a year because of something I was told id need to do while doing the course?:(

As for the persuading part, my email should have done all that, its was a long one, very polite, but stating how commited I am to this and how much it means to me. how ive researched it all for a few years now and have plenty of insight into what i need to do to get to uni next year, and that I haven't taken it lightly....how im willing to do voluntary work as they suggested etc.....

I can have it reconsidered as long as I get on something before may and provide proof of this....im kind of angry to be honest, as we were told monday to start looking yet got a letter right after saying this

Hope you get a good outcome from your email.. you seem to have covered off everything that you could ....... and good luck with trying to find the placement you need.

I read the bit in your post that I put into bold to mean that you need to look now for work experience to start in September which would make sense if as you say in another post that hospitals take on volunteers in Feb and September. So is there anywhere that will say in writing they will take you on in September? That should then prove that you have taken the advice you were offered in the interview.

no hun he told us we need to look now to start work experience before the course starts in septemeber, so asap really, as when we fill in forms for uni in october for the following year we will then have something to put on them in the work exerience sections to make us stand out from applicants that dont have any, but then the letter says i need to start now and provide proof of this by may to have it reconsidered:confused: im confused to be honest.

also the lady i spoke to on the phone at the hospital recruitment said they took on feb, wont again till sept, i asked the same thing you just said, wont it be proof enough to have a letter of some sort to give to collage to say i will start volunteering in sept, she replied they are not even accepting applications until september:(

rotherham hospital say to call back in june/july, which is still too late:confused:

Hope you get a good outcome from your email.. you seem to have covered off everything that you could ....... and good luck with trying to find the placement you need.

thanks hun, no reply to the email yet as with it being holidays i cant see it being soon

Archived