Wine snobbery Is pointless & expensive

The author of that article has obviously never tasted truly fine wine. I have some beautiful wines in my cellar, cheap plonk dosn't even come close.

I don't think it was the author who came to the conclusion:

The blind test at the Edinburgh Science Festival saw 578 members of the public correctly identify the "cheap" or "expensive" wines only 50% of the time.

Perhaps you should re-read the article. ;)

I've been fortunate to buy/taste/enjoy wines from many regions and and of varying prices. I thoroughly enjoyed my wine-tasting tour in Adelaide Australia, including a 'blind' tasting of Wolf Blass, 6 bottles varying from their 'cheap n cheerful' fill-a-gallon variety up to their 160 year old vine varietal, the general consensus aboard our merry band of gluggers was that expensive is not always best.

There really are too many wine-snobs who believe that if you pay more then you get a finer tasting wine....well, this is not so is it chaps? Taste is a personal preference, for everything in life, so if I fancy drinking a well chilled bottle of £4.49 Pinot then I will, and I will thoroughly enjoy it, and it's up to ME what I like to taste and what I don't.

I've had equally bad 'expensive' wines as well as cheap, don't look at the price, just enjoy it for what it is!! :)

As was pointed out in the second response on the BBC site:-

"All this illustrates is that the public is unable to distinguish wine quality."

It doesn't in anyway suggest there's no difference between cheap and expensive wine.

I've never yet heard of a double-blind study being performed on wine connoiseurs. The results might be interesting.

A double-blind study on beer "experts" did prove conclusively that not a single one of them could tell beers apart from each other, but that was some years ago in the USA where "beer" usually means lager.

If I had a bottle of expensive wine I wouldn't want to share so I would probably drink the whole bottle, then I would have a headache the next morning. Or is that the difference, expensive wine doesn't leave you with a hangover :confused::hihi:

Archived