Wine snobbery Is pointless & expensive

Last week I was in the company of someone who likes to spend above average on a bottle of wine. She never buys any bottle at under twenty quid.

Being the cheapskate I am I decided to invest in a £2.99 bottle of Red from the local spar. Listillo was the make, a spanish soft and fruity red with subtle flavours of redcurrants and rasberries balanced with a hint of vanilla.

I kid you not my friend loved it and demanded to know where she could buy a crate full. This of course put me in an awkward situation because I knew I'd only paid £2.99 for it. I didnt want her to think - well you know what women are like - that £2.99 is all she is worth. I belatedly told her where I had purchased it from and I havent heard from her since. She is either in a self induced wine coma or wine snobbery has ruined any chance of me seeing her again.

I'm actuallydoing a little wine tasting myself right now.

Um... ah.....ah......an impudent little wine with a slighly fruity bouquet.

Vintage? Er... ahhh,,,, ummm..... ha......I think.... 2009 and from the Marks and Spencer vinyards in the Wensleydale Valley

Well I like red wine, I prefer it to have been made from grapes rather than other fruits, I like a peppery and dry taste rather than fermented Ribena. So I read the label, if it says that it is very fruity I take that as very heavy and sickly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert, but find that I can achieve my aim by spending a little time in choosing, some of the supermarket half price wines are very good and have been twice the price, others always appear to be the same price.

Anyway we are off to Spain on Saturday, so I will attempt my basic Spanish on the wine labels in the local Supersol.

I have always thought some expensive wines were not better than many cheaper options. The below study on wine tasting seems to back up my case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13072745

Maybe people don't know their a*s* from their elbow as far as wine is concerned. That said, I don't drink wine because I think it's good, I drink cheaper wine because I'm on a budget but I can tell a more expensive wine from a cheaper one. Providing you let cheaper wine breathe it generally turns out ok.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert, but find that I can achieve my aim by spending a little time in choosing, some of the supermarket half price wines are very good and have been twice the price, others always appear to be the same price.

Supermarket prices are a con. They originally price the wine at a much higher value than its worth and then reduce it to half price or less to make you believe you are getting a bargain.

There is no real reason to pay £20+ for a bottle as after its half gone you cant tell.:hihi:

Supermarket prices are a con. They originally price the wine at a much higher value than its worth and then reduce it to half price or less to make you believe you are getting a bargain.

There is no real reason to pay £20+ for a bottle as after its half gone you cant tell.:hihi:

Is that so? I'm currently buying a superb Spanish red from Tesco that is far cheaper than it is in Spain. You obviously do not memorise the labels, now where's my anorak? :rolleyes:

Is that so? I'm currently buying a superb Spanish red from Tesco that is far cheaper than it is in Spain. You obviously do not memorise the labels, now where's my anorak? :rolleyes:

I don't need to. There was a good undercover program on TV where the scam was exposed. I think is was by the guy that normally deals with food and what goes into it. Anyway, here is a similar report from the BBC from 2008 about wine snobbery.

Archived