Advice needed on debt and bailiffs

Please don’t judge how they got into trouble with all their debts and only reply with help.

My parents are now in their 70’s and have had to move in with me due to the amount of debt they are in which amounts into the thousands. They could not afford their rent and finally admitted to me that they needed help. I felt it was my turn to help them out as they helped me by bringing me up.

My dad has diabetes, is very frail and finds it difficult to use public transport so owns a car. The car is only worth about £2500 but I fear he will loose this to the bailiffs and would like to stop this.

They have just received a letter by a debt collector saying that bailiffs are due to call next week but they own nothing in the house. How can I stop the bailiffs calling and have they a legal right to enter the property?

Please help

If I remember correctly, they cant just walk into the property.

Plus the fact its YOUR house, they cant take anything that belongs to you.

First thing I would do, is get your dad to put the car into your name - that way the baliffs cant touch it....

First of all, get your Dad's car registered in your name. That way the bailiffs can't put a 'walking posession' order on it, therefore cannot take it away.

NEVER EVER let a bailiff in your house. You can go to a solicitor and do a statutory declaration, basically declaring that everything in the property belongs to you. This will prevent the bailiffs from taking anything in your house too. The bailiff has to gain peaceful entry onto your property which means you have to let him in. None of this foot in the door, climbing through windows rubbish. However, once he has been in your property he can enter when he wants. So under no circumstances should you let him in. If you need to, open an upstairs window and talk to him through there, asking him to post any correspondance. With regards to the debts you can either visit CAB and get them to have a look at everything for you or you can do it yourself. This involves writing to all the debtors with details of the situation, income and outgoings and an offer of payment to all of them. If the situation is dire the debtors may agree to write off some of the debt. Finally, try not to worry, it's not the end of the world. They can't get blood out of a stone. If your parents don't have the money then the debtors can't have it.

Bailiffs have no legal rights unless they are court bailiffs from the council/police etc. There is a really good website somewhere. I will try to find it and post the link for you x

NOt the site I was looking for but have a look at this http://www.advicenow.org.uk/advicenow-guides/consumer-and-money-problems/dealing-with-bailiffs/

If I remember correctly, they cant just walk into the property.

Plus the fact its YOUR house, they cant take anything that belongs to you.

First thing I would do, is get your dad to put the car into your name - that way the baliffs cant touch it....

I'm not sure thats a great idea - they look out for that sort of thing. If thats all they own, then thats all they will lose. At their age, there is little prospect of paying it all back, so little for anyone to chase to be honest, especially assuming that their income is modest. Go to the CAB, they can give you the best advice...you might find that its quite simple to sort out if your parents have little in the way of assets. Debt companies won't waste money chasing people for cash they simply don't have.

Please don’t judge how they got into trouble with all their debts and only reply with help.

My parents are now in their 70’s and have had to move in with me due to the amount of debt they are in which amounts into the thousands. They could not afford their rent and finally admitted to me that they needed help. I felt it was my turn to help them out as they helped me by bringing me up.

My dad has diabetes, is very frail and finds it difficult to use public transport so owns a car. The car is only worth about £2500 but I fear he will loose this to the bailiffs and would like to stop this.

They have just received a letter by a debt collector saying that bailiffs are due to call next week but they own nothing in the house. How can I stop the bailiffs calling and have they a legal right to enter the property?

Please help

good advice from the others. also go to a citizens advice centre and see if they can agree with the people owed money to, reduce payments. its a shame he cannot declare himself bankrupt

good advice from the others. also go to a citizens advice centre and see if they can agree with the people owed money to, reduce payments. its a shame he cannot declare himself bankrupt

Why can't he/they?

If they have no assets to lose like a house and all they have is debt that is precisly the thing that I would be considering doing - at their age it's not like you would be wanting to start up a new buisness or buy a new house etc.

to add to the already worthy advice. get some beware of the dog signs and put them on the doors. plus always keep the doors and windows locked shut.

a bailiff can enter your property by any legal means, this includes open windows and doors. they can not push past you into your property and if they do try, tell them you are calling the police.

transfer the car into your name as payment for their lodgings. this is perfectly legal, or have them sell it to you for £1. write to the debt collectors and offer them £1 per month. They cannot refuse contributions towards the debt otherwise they run the risk of losing the debt entirely if it goes to court.

lastly i think you can still get some legal aid for these matters and so I would speak with a local solicitor about this. howells used to do legal aid work so they would be a good place to start.

also if you father has genuine health propblems, the debt collection company have to take this into account.

Archived