Work - pleasure or pain.

I was fortunate to spend the last 25 years of my working life doing a job I enjoyed,but this still didn't prevent me opting for early retirement when the chance arose.

Prior to this,I experienced two other jobs,the first of which was mundane,but I had to earn a living,and the other turned into a nightmare for various reasons.

Do you love,hate or just accept that a job is a job?

I think that it is always a job, and at times there will be pain but it becomes just bearable if you're actually enjoying the work, it makes a person more likely to see it through.

Do you think that there is less job satisfaction for people these days? people often seem to be in a rut with jobs that they really don't enjoy at all, it is a shame as you work for so much of your life, surely there should be some satisfaction in it.

There should be an element of both in work, surely? I don't like digging in the garden, but I like the flowers that grow out of it.

Work should be a mixtrue of a lot of things. Pleasure/Pain, Work/Reward. I can cope with hating it, and enjoyment is always good. Tedium is a different matter, I'd hate to do something I found mindnumbingly dull.

h a t e !!!

What is it about your job that you don't like?

I've been in two jobs before that I hated and it was awful. They were so mundane that at the start of the day i'd be thinking 'how am I going to make it through the day?'! Clock watching all day made it worse too. Never again!

Do you also think the people you work with can make a job more bearable too? I've had boring jobs that I've actually enjoyed because of the great colleagues & the reverse of good jobs I ended up hating because of them.

Not sure about working with a bunch of people you don't like as i've not been in that situation. Give or take the odd person i've always had great colleagues, but I couldn't stay in a job I hated just for the people. You can always keep in touch with folk so I wouldn't let that stop me from moving on. However, in dull times, the people do help you through until 5pm!

Archived