Religion’s role in gender discrimination?

Leviticus is often a fun read. There's pages of stuff about the evils of menstruating women there.

I wish clerics were as vocal on this, on which scripture is clear, as they are about homosexuality and other items that suit their agendas, which are a lot less clear.

What I mean of course, is equally not very vocal, rather than ratchet up the demands for menstruating women in public to confine themselves in their homes.

I quite like this cartoon on "the evils of menstruating women".

The whole of Leviticus 15 is hilarious

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+15&version=KJV

But the clearest evidence of the misogyny of the men that wrote the Bible must be in Levitucus 12:2-5

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+12&version=KJV

Leviticus 12

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean.

3 And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.

4 And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled.

5 But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days.

So a woman who has given birth to a baby boy is unclean for 40 days, whilst a woman who has given birth to a girl is unclean for 80 days. Wimmin, 'orrible dirty creatures, yuk.

:hihi:

The whole of Leviticus 15 is hilarious

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+15&version=KJV

But the clearest evidence of the misogyny of the men that wrote the Bible must be in Levitucus 12:2-5

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+12&version=KJV

So a woman who has given birth to a baby boy is unclean for 40 days, whilst a woman who has given birth to a girl is unclean for 80 days. Wimmin, 'orrible dirty creatures, yuk.

:hihi:

As long as you realise the Golden Calf was spoken of as Lord and that these laws are man-made by the Jews themselves. It fooled Mohammed as well because he included all this into the Koran when he 'magpied' the Torah.

As long as you realise the Golden Calf was spoken of as Lord and that these are man-made laws by the Jews themselves.

Oh.

What?

Aaaah, Grahame, so they weren't the Israelites/ Hebrews then?

In other news ;)

I read a very interesting book a few years ago, called "Apology to Eve" which was about the misogyny in the church, and where its roots came from.

Oh.

What?

Read about the Golden Calf, and you will see that while Moses was receiving the Ten Commandments, his brother Aaron was building the Golden Calf to the Lord.

"The golden calf (e-ggel hazâhâb_) was an idol (a cult image) made by Aaron to satisfy the Israelites during Moses' absence, when he went up to Mount Sinai. The calf was intended to be a physical representation of the God of Israel, and therefore was doubly wrong for involving Israel in idolatry and for ascribing physicality to God."

(According to that their 'God' was a Golden Calf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_calf

They were into idol worship in a big way and they spoke of their idols as 'God.' All the bad stuff in the Old Testament is due to their worship of false gods.

As long as you realise the Golden Calf was spoken of as Lord and that these laws are man-made by the Jews themselves. It fooled Mohammed as well because he included all this into the Koran when he 'magpied' the Torah.

Still banging that same old drum I see:rolleyes:.

They were into idol worship in a big way and they spoke of their idols as 'God.' All the bad stuff in the Old Testament is due to their worship of false gods.

Lol I love watching your stance on this issue continually shift, I have a question.

How do you know which parts of the old testament are about the 'real' god and which parts are about false ones?

Is there any criteria other than 'parts that you like' ?

Just correcting this for you:- (my bold)

They were into idol worship in a big way and they spoke of their idols as 'god.' All the bad stuff in the Old Testament is due to their worship of false gods.

Archived