Religion’s role in gender discrimination?

Here's an interesting article about the Christian anti-abortion crusade:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/opinion/14collins.html?_r=2

…many social conservatives are simply opposed to giving women the ability to have sex without the possibility of procreation.“Contraception helps reduce one’s sexual partner to just a sexual object since it renders sexual intercourse to be without any real commitments,” says Janet Smith, the author of “Contraception: Why Not.”

Yeah right, so forcing women to become baby machines is not making them a sexual object then?

:rant:

The Jews and the Christians may have had the same FATHER but they are different people. I'm glad I'm not a teacher. :)

What do you mean by the comment "they are different people"?

I'm glad you're not a teacher too. :hihi:

I think the burkha is a good thing and respect those who have the courage to wear it especially in todays society with so much pressure on men and women to conform to certain looks.

That has to be the most oxymoronic statement I have ever read on SF.

:hihi:

You're joking aren't you. It's creeping back with a vengeance over where you live for sure. I have friends in Austin TX, and they make it sound like it's finger in the dam time, against a rising tide of theocratic misogyny.

Abortion and family planning advice is becoming less available, and the roots of it are so called Christian values. The Christian movement to backtrack women's rights, access to healthcare, and control of their own reproductive systems, is probably the one thing that concerns me most about religion these days.

How about all those states that are now passing bills to assign rights to the foetus from the moment of conception, not only to outlaw abortion, but potentially as a defence for somebody who murders a medic providing abortion services?

How about the recent case of the pregnant woman who attempted suicide, who is now being charged with murder?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/15/woman-attempted-suicide-pregnant-accused

Way to treat vulnerable women! From the article:

How about the recent attempts to remove funding from Planned Parenthood?

:suspect:

good god!!! and we say the third world is backwards.

I see what you are saying but Jews born before Christ cannot have been Christians. :)

no one born born before Christ can be christian. i know. i know that very well. we heard it all the time in the old country when missionaries were saying they're doing us a favor coz they were telling us about Christ as anyone who died without ever knowing or hearing about Christ would burn forever.

they said that was the reason why we should 'go home and spread the word.'

gave me nightmares for years.

they were telling us about Christ as anyone who died without ever knowing or hearing about Christ would burn forever.

they said that was the reason why we should 'go home and spread the word.'

gave me nightmares for years.

A loving sort of people then. :mad:

Harun Yahya

Ha ha ha ha ha, he he, ha ha, snigger, snort, ha ha, ha he he, gaffaw, fishing lure, he he, ha ha, sorry ...

makes some very arguments against evolution which people veieve blindly without even questioning. I mean Atheists accuse believers of blind faith but look at all the people blindly following a theory as one hundred percent undeniable fact.

Please tell me how one follows the theory of evolution. Should I grow a beard, wear a uniform?

:hihi:

Archived