Religion’s role in gender discrimination?

Irish Church's Forgotten Victims Take Case to U.N.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/world/europe/25iht-abuse25.html?_r=3

DUBLIN — For years, it was Ireland’s hidden scandal: an estimated 30,000 women were sent to church-run laundries, where they were abused and worked for years with no pay. Their offense, in the eyes of society, was to break the strict sexual rules of Catholic Ireland, having children outside wedlock.

The Magdalene laundries were a network of profit-making workhouses run by four religious communities — the Sisters of Mercy, the Sisters of Charity, the Good Shepherd Sisters and the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity…

Magdalene women worked long hours, typically seven days a week, without pay. There have been accounts of the harsh conditions the women endured, including allegations of mental, physical and, in some cases, sexual abuse. Many lived and died behind convent walls until the last laundry closed in 1996.

The last Magdalene laundry was closed as recently as 1996, and 155 bodies were found when one was sold to a property developer in 1993!

Imprisonment, torture, abuse and slavery ... for the 'crime' of having sex, being flirtatious, an unmarried mother, or mentally disabled. I never realised how evil these places were. And where was the equivalent for men?

Shocking, absolutely shocking.

:(

Irish Church's Forgotten Victims Take Case to U.N.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/world/europe/25iht-abuse25.html?_r=3

The last Magdalene laundry was closed as recently as 1996, and 155 bodies were found when one was sold to a property developer in 1993!

Imprisonment, torture, abuse and slavery ... for the 'crime' of having sex, being flirtatious, an unmarried mother, or mentally disabled. I never realised how evil these places were. And where was the equivalent for men?

Shocking, absolutely shocking.

:(

I wonder if Riche will read this before his next rant about Muslim treatment of women :suspect:

The problem with religions changing the way they do things to fit in with modern times, (woman’s rights, guy rights, ect) implies the laws of the religions were mans invention and not Gods.

If God did exist would it say women can’t be priests and then 2000 years later say now they can be priests, would God say it’s wrong to be guy and then 2000 years later say now it’s OK?

I don’t see how a religion can adapt to modern times without further proving that God doesn’t exist.:D

It's something that's always boggled me, some religions HAVE moved with the times, changing their views/opinions/rules. When I have questioned this the answer I got was "in this day and age it would be ridiculous to view (insert rule/opinion here) in such a way, modern (insert religion brand here) moves with the times and accepts this".........

Which to me is an admission that the original "word" of god was wrong. Worse than that, these people have made their own versions up, to keep up with the times. So really they're no longer following the "word" of god, but just making it up as they go along.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a contradictory situation.

EDIT: Basically, yeah, same as what you said Andi

I wonder if Riche will read this before his next rant about Muslim treatment of women :suspect:

No worries. Uncover the rock of any of the Abrahamic religions and you will find misogynistic lowlife:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/31/teenager-stoned-to-death-for-entering-beauty-contest-115875-23168313/#ixzz1NvFUbQmc

Attractive Muslim teenager Katya Koren was murdered because she took part in a beauty contest.

Terrified Katya, 19, was stoned to death and murder police are investigating claims that three youths killed her before claiming her death was justified under Islamic law. One of the three, named as Bihal Gaziev, told police that she had “violated the laws of Sharia”.

Gaziev, 16, who is now under arrest, allegedly added that he had no regrets about Katya being killed.

She was found murdered in a village near where she had lived in the Crimea region of Ukraine. Katya’s battered body was discovered in woodland a week after she was brutally killed.

Friends said she liked wearing fashionable clothes.

Poor girl. :(

No worries. Uncover the rock of any of the Abrahamic religions and you will find misogynistic lowlife:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/31/teenager-stoned-to-death-for-entering-beauty-contest-115875-23168313/#ixzz1NvFUbQmc

Poor girl. :(

It's funny how the internet allows people to dig up stories from all over the world and then simply label it what they like.

I agree with one thing- the 'poor girl' comment. She was a victim- to say she was 'punished' due to an Islamic law is baseless as no such thing would be permitted.

Would you make the same point if the story below involved a Muslim man? I also dug one out- but the people involved are nearer to home (despite the crime happening in Crete).

A WOMAN from Castleford has died on the holiday isle of Crete after allegedly being beaten by her boyfriend, local police have reported.

Police said 22-year-old Luke Walker, was arrested yesterday and faces charges of causing fatal bodily injury.

His 21-year-old girlfriend, Chelsea Hyndman, died yesterday afternoon, a day after being admitted to a hospital in Herakleion suffering from severe abdomen pain

Local police said the couple had rowed over the attention she had been receiving from other men. They were today holding the boyfriend in custody

Poor girl.:rolleyes:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/boyfriend_held_after_yorkshire_woman_beaten_to_death_on_holiday_isle_1_2574732

Would you make the same point if the story below involved a Muslim man?

I doubt it, considering that the stories are completely different.

One is a jealous boyfirend who beat his girlfriend to death.

The other is a woman who was stoned to death by a group of people because of their religious beliefs.

The only similarity they have is that women were killed in both. The Jealous boyfriend hasn't even been charged with murder, they are completely different. How can you even compare them? What point are you trying to make?

I doubt it, considering that the stories are completely different.

One is a jealous boyfirend who beat his girlfriend to death.

The other is a woman who was stoned to death by a group of people because of their religious beliefs.

The only similarity they have is that women were killed in both. The Jealous boyfriend hasn't even been charged with murder, they are completely different. How can you even compare them? What point are you trying to make?

Far more men are killed as a result of violence/rules/laws, so what point are you trying to make?

Far more men are killed as a result of violence/rules/laws, so what point are you trying to make?

The point is in the title of the thread. Religion's role in gender discrimination.

In the story in today's press, the Ukrainian girl chose to wear pretty clothes and enter a beauty contest. Three men believed that her choices contravened with Islamic law, and murdered her. Religion obviously played a role in gender discrimination.

Baz1's story of jealousy is irrelevant.

The point is in the title of the thread. Religion's role in gender discrimination.

In the story in today's press, the Ukrainian girl chose to wear pretty clothes and enter a beauty contest. Three men believed that her choices contravened with Islamic law, and murdered her. Religion obviously played a role in gender discrimination.

Baz1's story of jealousy is irrelevant.

Fact is more men have been killed due to gender discrimination.

Archived