Religion’s role in gender discrimination?

I'm just looking at the love in the eyes of the people in the video the OP posted and I am so pleased for them and so sad that people don't seem to have the same joy in their lives.

Here is the link to the video that the OP posted. Enjoy.

Did you know that the divorce rates within the Southern Baptist community were quite a bit higher than average?

No?

Thought not.

I'm just looking at the love in the eyes of the people in the video the OP posted and I am so pleased for them and so sad that people don't seem to have the same joy in their lives.

Here is the link to the video that the OP posted. Enjoy.

Grahame you don't have joy in your life, you have religion which has taken over from reality

Did you not understand why she is so disparaging about it? She is very careful to actually put this 'nice and fluffy' instruction back into context, and show that it is not so nice.

Immediately following the commandment to women to submit to their husbands, we find the commandment to slaves to obey their owners.

No amount of excuses, that husbands and slave-owners should not ruthlessly exploit their positions of power, can paper over the obvious fact that women rank alongside slaves.

Why exactly?

You are simply repeating the line that men said of the suffragettes.

It isn't about exploitation, it is about caring for people and looking after them, this is what religion is about, it is about having a care for other people and this is why soldiers have to obey orders. Look at young people today, they want to do their own thing and not be beholden to anyone and this is when society breaks down.

It isn't about exploitation, it is about caring, for people and looking after them, this is what religion is about, it is about having a care for other people and this is why soldiers have to obey orders. Look at young people today, they want to do their own thing and not be beholden to anyone and this is when society breaks down.

So women should be subservient to men but in Muslim religion they are and you diparage them. Was your wife obedient to you?

Did you know that the divorce rates within the Southern Baptist community were quite a bit higher than average?

No?

Thought not.

She is trouble causing, we can see that with her talk of slavery which isn't even an issue and if anyone causes marriage breakdown it is people like her who is breaking down the fabric of society with her talk. Divorce, teenage pregnancy, sti and everything associated with it is rising as never before.

So women should be subservient to men but in Muslim religion they are and you diparage them. Was your wife obedient to you?

It isn't a case of being subservient to anyone it is like a good manager at work who has peoples best interest at heart. In some situations that doesn't happen and when it is like that then it is wrong.

I will leave this discussion now so you can't play your little game.

I know, I know, another religion thread. :roll:

But I just had to mention this 'strident' article by Paula Kirby in The Washington Post.

Sock it to 'em Paula!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/religion-lies-about-women/2011/04/13/AFDS9mXD_blog.html

Spot my comment there. Anyway, here's some extracts:

She's obviously a witch! :hihi:

She's obviously writing her own opinions and seems to be a bit of an Atheist extremist.

I would like her to explain to me how the universe and all life within came into existence as evolution theory comes no where close to doing so and why scientific facts discovered in recent history are in the Quran.

Also I'd like her to explain to me why second and third generation immigrants are making the choice to wear the Burka even though their parents did not.

I'd like her to explain why western women convert to Islam?

I realise that. The female character is different from men's, women generally watch the soaps and men watch football. Women go mad on shoes, men don't. I'm generalising of course. :)

This woman is an avid football fan.

(For my sins, at Bramall Lane, though I'm not sure, the way we are performing a the minute, if it can be described as "football"!!!)

She's obviously writing her own opinions and seems to be a bit of an Atheist extremist.

I would like her to explain to me how the universe and all life within came into existence as evolution theory comes no where close to doing so and why scientific facts discovered in recent history are in the Quran.

Also I'd like her to explain to me why second and third generation immigrants are making the choice to wear the Burka even though their parents did not.

I'd like her to explain why western women convert to Islam?

I'd like you to successfully explain to me why you think these things are true? I think you're just parrotting something you've been told by some ill educated imam?

As for your second comment, I'd like you to explain to me why they're doing it, other than attention seeking with their choice of archaic garb? Third comment, also attention seeking and vainly hoping to find structure to their lives in a dictatorial and oppressive way of life, or 'religion' if you prefer?

I'd like you to successfully explain to me why you think these things are true? I think you're just parrotting something you've been told by some ill educated imam?

As for your second comment, I'd like you to explain to me why they're doing it, other than attention seeking with their choice of archaic garb? Third comment, also attention seeking and vainly hoping to find structure to their lives in a dictatorial and oppressive way of life, or 'religion' if you prefer?

I think that's a tad racist to try and dismiss my opinions as the words of an ill educated Imam.

Consider this scenario you are in dark room, have never seen the earth, never seen people walking around, never seen the birds in flight, never seen night and day, never seen insects running around, never seen Zebras Elephants Lions Tigers ect. You're in this dark room and one day someone tells you there is a magical place called the earth where all this exists? Would you believe them?

The proof that God exists is all around us on the earth and Allah says in the Quran that the intelligent reflect on his signs. Science may help us understand the mechanisms of how things work and how they develop and change but that doesn't mean something other than God is responsible for their existance. Within the Quran there are descriptions of life, the universe, the earth which have only been discovered by Science in recent history.

They're doing it simply because they have found the answers to their Questions in Islam. Questions you and others like you in the Atheist camp cannot answer.

You cannot even answer the questions I presented but instead resorted to dismissal tactics based on racist setreotyping and then asked your own questions which I've answered successfully.

Archived