Thousands may sue the Met for 'unlawful detention'

... protest is a democratic right, getting people charged for it would be a way of curtailing that process...

Top of the list of human rights is 'The right to life'.

If you, I or anybody else is to enjoy that right, then we do have to eat. (If you don't eat, you don't poop. And if you don't poop, you die!)

If we go into a shop, there is usually plenty of food. Most shops expect to get money for that food.

Does charging people for the food they eat infringe on their basic 'right to life'?

This is just another example of the courts having to sort out the mess made by Parliament provide a more clear explanation of what Parliament intended to do.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

It's quite true. If Parliament passed clear, concise, comprehensive (and comprehensible) laws which were unambiguous, there would be far less need for the Court of Appeal and the HOL.

Years ago, on a night out I was asked if I had anything on me I shouldn't have, I said I some cannabis, they couldn't find it.

I was a bit drunk, so I called them idiots and laughed at them, I dug it out of the coat they'd just searched to prove my point, they offered to do me for possession cannabis and I protested so they did me for d&d instead :hihi:

Might aswell have arrested myself.

you did, more or less:hihi:

Presumably the charges would be set by the same people who set the charges for policing at football matches.

The UKHRA says inter alia that you have the right to 'Freedom of expression' (the right to protest about something)

Rights are usually accompanied by responsibilities. If you organise a march of 50,000 people, why should you not be held responsible for your actions? If those actions cause a considerable expenditure of public money, why should you not foot the bill?

And if your perfectly peaceful protest is hijacked by a bunch of anarchists intent upon causing trouble why should the peaceful protesters be held responsible? The anarchists weren't invited, and weren't welcome.

What you are suggesting would actually make it more difficult to protest in the UK than in, for example, China! Is that a situation you are happy with? Because I sure as hell wouldn't be!

Archived